could i let the bees clean up?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
i put a large containter full of fondant above the hole in the crown board a while ago and alot of it has melted and ran out under the container onto the crown board,when i am putting more fondant on soon,and if it was a nice warmish day could i lift the container off for a while,replace the roof and let the bees come up into the super and clean up all the runny fondant,i reckon they'd have it cleaned up in no time?...could i do this and would it be okay?
Darren.

you have a super on the hive, and still feeding fondant?

lets get a bit of info

have you insulation above the crown board if so what

super, was it for winter stores and is it empty or are you running brood and half

is there a Queen excludere on the hive, if so between what

Last edited:
yea i am using the super so that i can fit a big tub of fondant and for no other reason....but back to the bees cleaning up on a good warm day,can i let them do this?

yea i am using the super so that i can fit a big tub of fondant and for no other reason....but back to the bees cleaning up on a good warm day,can i let them do this?

well , i have 4" of insulation above an Api eke (25mm) and crown board with the fondant on the crown board and the feed hole open,

why well ambrosia fondant or apiinvert fondant just runs into the hive if placed over the feeed hole This way the fondant is on the crown board and it is warm enough for the bees to feed and clean up runs before it get into the frames

you looase a bit more heat though when checking fondant

i put a large containter full of fondant above the hole in the crown board a while ago and alot of it has melted and ran out under the container onto the crown board,when i am putting more fondant on soon,and if it was a nice warmish day could i lift the container off for a while,replace the roof and let the bees come up into the super and clean up all the runny fondant,i reckon they'd have it cleaned up in no time?...could i do this and would it be okay?
Darren.

Or if it is a nice day as you say perhaps turn the crown board over.

Latest posts

Back