Cost of Water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It still bugs me that living in Wild WET Wales we not only supply water to others who need it but we do not get any reductions and at the end of the day it is us that has the extra expense of brollies and waterproofs lol :seeya:

Just the same here in Cumbria but if anything wetter.

I remember hearing that Cumbria had the wettest town in the UK. It was either Seatoller or Seathwaite.

Not sure that Seathwaite would class as a town by any stretch of the imagination but yes it is officially the wettest place in the British Isles (I think). Having an annual rainfall of over 3500mm and on one day in November 2009 372mm.

Last edited:
Mine comes straight out of the hill above my house and costs me nothing!!! Pure, no chemicals, tastes so wonderful, can't drink the stuff out of a normal tap any more, Crystal clear.... I could go on. I catch it in a tank where it pours out of the hill and the overflow makes a stream through my garden and flows on down to a big river. This is naturally filtered through the earth. Eat your hearts out.
E

My water supply costs me about £100 a year in routine maintenance, plus £75 a year to submit a sample for laboratory analysis (due diligence since it's a self-operated system and I am processing food products).

I have a 100 cubic metre tank which collects rainwater from the roofs of two of the buildings at the honey farm, with filter and UV sterilisation to bring it to the correct standard, plus pump to give a head of pressure. Sewerage is via a large septic tank. Should keep us running for at least two months of continuous no rain at current average usage. Bear in mind I live in one of the drier parts of Devon, with less than half the rainfall of the wetter parts.

Today was the first day of generation from my new solar PV system, despite the storm (which is topping up the water tank :)). Should help greatly offset the electricity bill for the honey farm, particularly since we use a ground source heat pump for heating the honey house, classroom, and office, which can gobble the watts when it's cold.

Mine comes straight out of the hill above my house and costs me nothing!!! Pure, no chemicals, tastes so wonderful, can't drink the stuff out of a normal tap any more, Crystal clear.... I could go on. I catch it in a tank where it pours out of the hill and the overflow makes a stream through my garden and flows on down to a big river. This is naturally filtered through the earth. Eat your hearts out.
E

Yes, but doesn't the sheep poo get stuck in you're teeth....:rolleyes:

Yes, but doesn't the sheep poo get stuck in you're teeth....

Nah, the soil does a good job filtering out virtually all the solids. microbes break it down and plant s take up the nitrates. Still got to be far better than some using water from the Thames. I once read that it was likely flushed through toilets seven times before some got to drink it!

RAB

Yes, but doesn't the sheep poo get stuck in you're teeth....

I once read that it was likely flushed through toilets seven times before some got to drink it!

RAB

I would suggest that that means some of it had been drunk seven times. :)

the water where ever you get your water ie seven trent or what ever, the water is extracted from rivers,resevoirs and has outlets from septic tanks, overflows from sewage works settling tanks and sewage pumping stations, all water goes through clensing underground works to be purified before going into the mains,all outlets from sewage works are all tested by the water companys

Last edited:
the water where ever you get your water ie seven trent or what ever, the water is extracted from rivers,resevoirs and has outlets from septic tanks, overflows from sewage works settling tanks and sewage pumping stations, all water goes through clensing underground works to be purified before going into the mains,all outlets from sewage works are all tested by the water companys

Yeogi.
Most maybe,but certainly not all by a long way.

my area deff down southwest area ? few years ago they poisoned the water

Responsibility of Environment Agency for water testing

SSW contaminated the Camelford area water supply with Alluminium and then tried a massive cover up before the press blew the whistle, by which time a percentage of the population had consumed enough Alluminium Sulphate to affect their heath... SSW managed to wriggle their way out of paying compensation I believe.

Well and groundwater supplies in Granitic areas now have to be tested for Radon as well as poo borne bacteria!
( That's if the Radon has not killed of the bugs!)

Do they stull use broom handled up north to soften the water?

Responsibility of Environment Agency for water testing

SSW contaminated the Camelford area water supply with Alluminium and then tried a massive cover up before the press blew the whistle, by which time a percentage of the population had consumed enough Alluminium Sulphate to affect their heath... SSW managed to wriggle their way out of paying compensation I believe.

Well and groundwater supplies in Granitic areas now have to be tested for Radon as well as poo borne bacteria!
( That's if the Radon has not killed of the bugs!)

Do they stull use broom handled up north to soften the water?

:iagree: no cotton wool buds bless :rolleyes:

the water where ever you get your water ie seven trent or what ever, the water is extracted from rivers,resevoirs and has outlets from septic tanks, overflows from sewage works settling tanks and sewage pumping stations,

This is what i was writing about,our water does not have,outlets from sewerage works,septic tanks,or sewage pumping stations going into it,so you say that this is happening where ever you get your water,but it is not.

This is what i was writing about,our water does not have,outlets from sewerage works,septic tanks,or sewage pumping stations going into it,so you say that this is happening where ever you get your water,but it is not.

where do you get your water from then

where do you get your water from then

Many of the out of the way places around here have private springs,but i live very near to the sea,and the water comes from a resevoir high up on Exmoor,so it would be really expensive,and stupid, to dig up the moors in a national park and pump sewage up to a 1000 ft or more asl, and many miles into a drinking water resevoir.

Latest posts

Back