Correx sheet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Anyone know where you can get some correx sheets from high street suppliers at a good price, or is via *bay the cheapest?
I've previously used the white board, but have noticed they come in a array of colours. What colour is best for showing up varroa?
Thanks
Alec

Get hold of the estate agents advertising boards the reverse is nearly always white. I bet Manchester is like London and the cheeky estate agents put the boards up at rather nice blocks with no properties to let or sale or never take them down and they stay for months if not years. I have in the past taken the boards and the handy 2×2 down and see it as a public service.

I have in the past taken the boards and the handy 2×2 down and see it as a public service.

What a public spirited chap you are. It is illegal to place an advertisement on the highway, to obstruct the highway or to place a structure on the highway so if the signs that fits any of those descriptions, it should not be there. However permanently depriving the owner of their sign or damaging it or turning it into a Varroa monitoring board is also illegal.

I am not qualified to give legal advice but if it were me I'd take down the offending advert and leave it on site a few days for the owner to collect. If it's not collected, I would assume it had been abandoned by the owner and "recycle" it. The only niggling doubt in my mind is that any beneficial use made of such an item in the above circumstances could still be interpreted as theft but you're probably ok if you don't do it on an industrial scale!

I acquired my monitoring boards from a sign company which was only too pleased to have somebody removed old signs. I have drawn a grid on the reverse surface (the white side) so that I can count mites in a methodical manner, one square at a time. There a photo of two of my monitoring boards on here - http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27600&page=6

CVB

Anyone know where you can get some correx sheets from high street suppliers at a good price, or is via *bay the cheapest?
I also do not like take another's… Interested in relevant answers :)

...I have drawn a grid on the reverse surface (the white side) so that I can count mites in a methodical manner, one square at a time...
With reading glasses on and nose to the board it's quite easy to go back a forth across the board and either double count or miss some. I drew lines across my boards with a permanent marker pen. The lines are far enough apart to cover one band in detail with each visual scan side to side, easy to zig zag down the board. Or if there are many mites or a lot of background debris and it's slowing you down, sample every other band, or every third.

For supplies, some shops have boards with limited time sales or events, ask nicely if you can have them after the sale. At least one supermarket got a bit shirty because they were "branded" and said they had to be destroyed after use. I offered to cut off the store name but they weren't having it. Not very environmentally friendly to deliberately obstruct re-use/recycling is it Waitrose?...

I have a very complex system for counting mites - doesn't involve drawing a grid and individually counting them - it involves holding the board in front of my eyes and grading mite counts into these categories:
None
Hardly any
A few
Quite a few
A lot
and oh dear

Life's too short to be spending ages doing individual head counts

I count mites as follows:

Pick a 3cm square area with mites on it- count mites.

Count number of squares like it with similar numbers if mites.. (a little estimating required.)

Multiply two numbers together..

As I have fewish mites, any errors are not important.

Only issue if there are LOTS..

Given how mites fall down and die, any counting has errors of 100-400% so anymore than 2 minutes is a waste of precious time...

Thanks for all the useful advice.
I'll have a word with a few local estate agents to see if they want to dispose of some boards in my direction.
Alec

Latest posts

Back