• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Cornish Honey wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Due to unpresidented demand and future orders, I am looking for Cornish honey. If you have some for sale please call 07900584900 or PM me?
Many thanks
Steve

wish u were nearer I have some spare

Its is a pity you are not closer.
We had a great year and hives produced more than we thought we would need for our regular customers, so much so we even took on some new markets.
But its the Poldark effect that's having an impact, the local hoteliers and shops are looking for anything Cornish to sell to the visitors, especially the Yanks who are buying up anything and everything associated with the county!
S

Its is a pity you are not closer.
We had a great year and hives produced more than we thought we would need for our regular customers, so much so we even took on some new markets.
But its the Poldark effect that's having an impact, the local hoteliers and shops are looking for anything Cornish to sell to the visitors, especially the Yanks who are buying up anything and everything associated with the county!
S

Shame the poldark effect hasn't taught them how to reverse in a lane yet!!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Shame the poldark effect hasn't taught them how to reverse in a lane yet!!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
All Emmets go pale and look petrified if they have to reverse down lanes.
Poldark must have a marvellous horse one minute he's leaving Bodmin moor, the next he's riding along north cliffs! Travel 30+miles in seconds, shouldn't mock, its boosted our sales no end:winner1st:
S

Due to unpresidented demand and future orders, I am looking for Cornish honey. If you have some for sale please call 07900584900 or PM me?
Many thanks
Steve

Seems to be a derth of Cornish Honey this year... not so much the Poldark effect ... more of customers wanting good local honey.

No problems in getting £4.80 for a full 1/2lb jar... in fact sold out all of our jarred up stock at the Callington Honey Fair in October!

Fortunately despite the Native black bees receiving quite a hammering this last season for queen rearing they once again out performed the Italian yellow stripey girls for honey production... in fact to ensure a bountiful honey crop in future, a good number of those colonies are being requeened as we turn back the clocks and make the Tamar valley a haven for Cornish Native black bees once again!

Even so £7.00 kilo in bulk seems to be the going rate... which is double the price being offered for prime heather honey in the rest of the country!!

Yeghes da

Yeghes da indeed!!!!

Even so £7.00 kilo in bulk seems to be the going rate... which is double the price being offered for prime heather honey in the rest of the country!!

Bulk heather honey £8.00 kilo.

Bulk heather honey £8.00 kilo.

Getting my LBS and Kilos confused!

Rarely get asked for heather honey..... except at the Stoke Climsland show, where the honey from the hives at the back of Kit Hill... now getting its ? Bell" heather back... sells out in minutes!

Yeghes da

As said earlier, we had our largest honey yield ever, not sure why others didn't do well?
My black bees did as well as most of our Buckie's but some Buckfast doubled and even tripled the amount brought in by the majority.
Too many variables to make decisions on best strain but as long as they produce and are reasonably easy to work, I frankly don't give a monkies if they are black, green or sky blue.
The Poldark effect may not be affecting the Cornwall/ Devon border but its real in the far SW where the series is based.

Not planning on putting up prices at 'regular ' markets or to existing customers as we have enough to cover these and happy with the price received, just looking at prospect of opening up new markets.
Manuka bushes now reaching 3-4m and bees covering them in summer, so need to get honey tested next year, will then ask a premium for this apiary honey , if UMF content is sufficient

S

As said earlier, we had our largest honey yield ever, not sure why others didn't do well?
My black bees did as well as most of our Buckie's but some Buckfast doubled and even tripled the amount brought in by the majority.
Too many variables to make decisions on best strain but as long as they produce and are reasonably easy to work, I frankly don't give a monkies if they are black, green or sky blue.
The Poldark effect may not be affecting the Cornwall/ Devon border but its real in the far SW where the series is based.

Not planning on putting up prices at 'regular ' markets or to existing customers as we have enough to cover these and happy with the price received, just looking at prospect of opening up new markets.
Manuka bushes now reaching 3-4m and bees covering them in summer, so need to get honey tested next year, will then ask a premium for this apiary honey , if UMF content is sufficient

S
I could even sell you some nice New Zealand Italian bees to forage on them!!

Nos da

Seems to be a derth of Cornish Honey this year... not so much the Poldark effect ... more of customers wanting good local honey.

No problems in getting £4.80 for a full 1/2lb jar... in fact sold out all of our jarred up stock at the Callington Honey Fair in October!

Fortunately despite the Native black bees receiving quite a hammering this last season for queen rearing they once again out performed the Italian yellow stripey girls for honey production... in fact to ensure a bountiful honey crop in future, a good number of those colonies are being requeened as we turn back the clocks and make the Tamar valley a haven for Cornish Native black bees once again!

Yeghes da

Yeghes da indeed!!!!
Actually, it's more like £6/kg for blossom in bulk.

Actually, it's more like £6/kg for blossom in bulk.

Seems to be a bit of variation in price across the British Isles and some honey seems to get a premium price...
not quite sure what the Poldark effect can have on UK produced "!manuca honey!" I believe the Tregothan Estate in West Cornwall were attempting to produce it?
We use Tea Tree Oil to get rid of ticks on the dogs!
Same plant I believe?

Yeghes da

Seems to be a bit of variation in price across the British Isles and some honey seems to get a premium price...
not quite sure what the Poldark effect can have on UK produced "!manuca honey!" I believe the Tregothan Estate in West Cornwall were attempting to produce it?
We use Tea Tree Oil to get rid of ticks on the dogs!
Same plant I believe?

Yeghes da

Didn't mention the Poldark effect and Manuka, it was sideline I am looking into. Yes, Tregothnam are producing it, 8kg they had this year! There is an article about in Beecraft saying they are selling at £200 a jar. I would be happy with a quarter of that even if it tastes like crxp.
By the way tea trea comes from a different plant , Melaleuca alternifolia, manuka is Leptospermum scoparium but if you want some manuka honey to use as tick remover, I would be happy to supply when it is in production?
S

Didn't mention the Poldark effect and Manuka, it was sideline I am looking into. Yes, Tregothnam are producing it, 8kg they had this year! There is an article about in Beecraft saying they are selling at £200 a jar. I would be happy with a quarter of that even if it tastes like crxp.
By the way tea trea comes from a different plant , Melaleuca alternifolia, manuka is Leptospermum scoparium but if you want some manuka honey to use as tick remover, I would be happy to supply when it is in production?
S

Only if you can get it licenced by the VMD!!!

Cornwall AONB are spending a small fortune on eradication on Himalayan Balsam, Japanese Knot-weed and Rhododendron... introducing another nectar producing weed could bee seen as irresponsible!!!

Yeghes da

Cornwall AONB are spending a small fortune on eradication on Himalayan Balsam, Japanese Knot-weed and Rhododendron... introducing another nectar producing weed could bee seen as irresponsible!!!

Yeghes da[/

"Ghas dha flows"
I am not going to bother to explain but do you really realise what nonsense you have just spouted.

PS fed up with your stupid responses on this forum, so have used "ignore" button

Last edited:

Yeghes da[/

"Ghas dha flows"
I am not going to bother to explain but do you really realise what nonsense you have just spouted.

PS fed up with your stupid responses on this forum, so have used "ignore" button

OH dear.... I seem to have provoked a hissie fit from yet another Cornish forum member!!

Yeghes da

Many thanks for all the replies (well apart from one idiot) and contacts.
It looks like there is a real shortage of local honey this year in Cornwall and indeed in many other parts of the country.
My request was always to try and increase sales but I will revert back to supplying my regular customers and markets.
Thanks again
S

Attachments

• One and all.jpg
    One and all.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6
It looks like there is a real shortage of local honey this year in Cornwall and indeed in many other parts of the country.

Don't know much about other areas, Steve... but it has been an excellent season for honey here, and on top of that one of the best heather seasons I can remember.

Latest posts

Back