Converting bottom to top beespace

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point Victor, but I thought with a Hoffman frame you simply move the frame up and down as you put them together, individually of course. This is what I do and rarely trap a bee.

The advantage of this technique is you do not need to pear down in to the gloom of the hive:cheers2:

Giving a puff of smoke between the frames works best for me. I also slide them down but this crushes bees in a strong colony in my experience. The shape of the frames does not move the bees out of the way.

Last edited:
Thanks Rooftops, I shall try giving a puff of smoke next time as well :cheers2:

Hoffmans are an option but more for the convenience of the beekeeper

John, (VM), I'm interested in your remark here. With only a little experience I had settled on 11 Hoffmans and a 18mm dummy as being the optimum for a 14x12 BB.

Are you suggesting a better alternative ? extra DN1 with spacers perhaps ?

This is why it's important to close frames (after inspection) en-bloc rather that one at a time (less chance of popping Her Madge)

Please expand on "close frames en-bloc" - do you mean push a group of them together with a sideways force, then put the last one in separately ?

do you recommend wide or narrow top bars ? I'm using wide-top hoffs atm.

JC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back