Contaminated beeswax foundation sheets.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you see the boxes of filthy dark brown wax being traded in for new foundation at the shows I just wonder what cleansing process it goes through before being pressed into new sheets ?

Expect some of it just gets cleaned with acid.

Go foundationless ... at least you know that the bees know what's in it ...and they just love building their own comb ! When you see the boxes of filthy dark brown wax being traded in for new foundation at the shows I just wonder what cleansing process it goes through before being pressed into new sheets ?

Usually only melting old black comb with steam or boiling water.. Some people respond, that oxalic acid solution used for "bleaching" wax.

Which ones.

Errm - it should have read, "How do invisible impurities get removed". :sorry:

Any of the various '-icides', including pesticides that somehow find their way into hives. Beekeepers also talk of pathogens being locked into wax, do these get destroyed when wax is being recycled into new foundation?

Any of the various '-icides', including pesticides that somehow find their way into hives. Beekeepers also talk of pathogens being locked into wax, do these get destroyed when wax is being recycled into new foundation?

All beeswax would be contaminated in some way, even as the bees are producing it, I doubt very much that all invisible contamination gets removed.

It was just this that made me decide from the beginning that I would not use foundation in my hives.. plus stories of wax being 'cut' with anything from parafffin wax to pig fat. Not in the UK I hope but you just don't know what is in there. If one beekeeper was sufficiently crook to embed a house brick in the middle of a block of wax for exchange there could be anything in there...

It takes no more time to wire frames once you have a system than it does to put sheets of foundation in there - and the bees fill them out just as fast as they do frames with foundation in them ..

If I had a press or a set of rollers I would consider making my own foundation from my beeswax but I haven't so .. non starter at present.

You could use plastic and rub your own wax into them or import wax from Africa

today I have completed the last of my frames, rewire and making fifty sheets of wax and embedding the wax, I find it easier to drill holes before assemble and put in the eyelets, make up frames them wire etc .

A simple melting point test should do it.

Melting point of...
pure beeswax: 62-64 °C
pure stearin: 54-72 °C
pure paraffin wax: 37 °C

And the contaminated wax is a mixture of these. So I don't think a melting point test would do it.

so which is of these pack of Beeswax , the super or 14x12 is cast by me in a silicon mould and which is bought from a lincolnshire retailer of bee equipment?

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 69
I don't know but I have a pack of 14x12 foundation from Thorne that looks grey like yours. It smells like beeswax but the colour is strange

I just bought a silicone mould and plywood follower system from an Ebay seller - am going to give it a try after I've done a Bailey comb change later this season (am on my third year now). Earlier this month I spent a small fortune on sufficient wax foundation for the new brood boxes and supers. I'm hoping I'll be self sufficient, am planning to use the thermostatically controlled uncapping tray to melt the wax.
What's the best way to wire the foundation? Should I make a plywood jig, to get the W pattern? Thanks.

so which is of these pack of Beeswax , the super or 14x12 is cast by me in a silicon mould and which is bought from a lincolnshire retailer of bee equipment?

I wouldn't trust that 14x12, I'd phone to complain and send it back for a refund, trouble is the postage is a killer these days.

So how much bees wax is made into candles these days?

That is an interesting question, and although a quick google got me some answers, there's no way of verifying these facts. One web site says that 11-19 million kilograms of beeswax are created by bees every year worldwide, but that 5.5 million of that is used for non-beekeeping purposes, which would include candle making. Another web site says that 95% of candles worldwide are paraffin wax candles, but candles can also be made from other materials than beeswax. A quick check tells me that beeswax candles cost 3-4x as much as paraffin candles in wholesale.

Melting point of...
pure beeswax: 62-64 °C
pure stearin: 54-72 °C
pure paraffin wax: 37 °C

And the contaminated wax is a mixture of these. So I don't think a melting point test would do it.

The melting points quoted are ranges eg for pure beeswax the sample starts melting at 62 Celsius and is completely melted by 64 Celsius. Adding Stearin for example would mean that the sample started melting at 54 and finish melting at 72. It wouldn't 'average out'.
Use a small sample, heat indirectly in a water bath, allow the temperature to rise as slowly as practical. Observe the sample and the thermometer. If any part starts to melt before 62 or any part melts after 64 then it is not pure beeswax. If the sample is too large then it would be possible that the upper limit is not accurately observed but most contaminating waxes will melt at a lower temperature.
No good for low level contamination by pesticides or antibiotics

Can't speak for anyone else but nearly all of mine goes into candles, small 1oz blocks or furniture polish. The candles and blocks sell at approx £1 an ounce in weight. 10oz pillar candles going for £12.
Sell hundreds each year which more than covers my foundation costs.
I think it's easier to make candles than foundation but you do need to find a market for them.

I wouldn't trust that 14x12, I'd phone to complain and send it back for a refund, trouble is the postage is a killer these days.

yes it is the 14x12 bl&&dy awful isn't it, even darker with the packing off, and it is premium wax not the standard range

It came with a a "everything you need hive pack" bought as a birthday prsent and the person doese not want to be a beekeeper so did not use but wax is only 6mth old

Latest posts

Back