Confused Messages at Bee Group

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see my response has gone. I still would like to know if the original speaker was "on the circuit" so I can watch out for a possible appearance at one of our meetings.
For what it's worth there was absolutely no humour intended in my comment, just an honest expression of my view.

:iagree:
Although, luckily for me he seems far enough away not to show on our lists - we have enough eejits of our own by the looks of the autumn edition of the Welsh beekeeper without having to import any!!

For what it's worth there was absolutely no humour intended in my comment, just an honest expression of my view.

Seems to be a problem with humor being lost in translation to text or Word or whatever non face to face communication computextsystem in use!

Bit like a powerpoint presentation at a wedding

I bet 50% of some posts are deleted... and there is the ignore button for those of a weak constitution!

But to be fair... the beginners section is a place where harsh comment can not be tolerated!

Mytten da

Why are open mesh floors thought to be such a good idea for overwintering?
Perhaps better to have quoted my full comment, and perhaps I should have added that some of them insist on raising the crown board even with open mesh floors. They do it because they've always raised the crown board for winter.

But those same "I've been keeping bees for 20/30/40/50 years" beekeepers have often bought open mesh floors, so have some concept of new ideas, but don't seem to be able to transfer what they've learned about insulating their own homes (to reduce their own energy bills) because they don't seem to understand that a colony's honey stores is that colony's energy supply.

On the other hand, there are some very innovative 40/50 years beekeepers, who are eager to try out ideas. They're the ones that are worth listening to.

There seems to be one thing missing from all the posts.

A burning question you all seem to have missed.

Something the old farts will have experienced, If they have the ability to recall that is.....

When was the last time we had a proper winter?

Only when we do will we have the experience to pass on the lessons learnt.

I always ensure they have some ventilation to prevent dangerous spores developing.
However, I also insulate too.

Take a look at your posh Double glazed windows, building regulations dictate that there must be" trickle ventilation", similar is necessary in the hive.

Something the old farts will have experienced, If they have the ability to recall that is.....

I always ensure they have some ventilation to prevent dangerous spores developing.

Take a look at your posh Double glazed windows, building regulations dictate that there must be" trickle ventilation", similar is necessary in the hive.

Yep, and that is just about as daft as making a hole in the wall when you install a woodburner. , never understood either reason!
E

Yep, and that is just about as daft as making a hole in the wall when you install a woodburner. , never understood either reason!
E

Perhaps you'd rather die from CO poisoning? :nono:

Ventilation is necessary for respiration & to prevent fungal growth,

in both the hive & the home.

We don't have a hole in the wall for our woodburner. We do however have ducting under the floor from outside, delivering the oxygenated (inevitably Cold) fresh air directly to the hearth. This avoids uncomfortable cold draughts.

My suggestion is that we insulate but not suffocate.

I'm not one of the match-sticks in winter brigade, (wherever did that idea spring from)??? :ohthedrama:

By all means insulate the whole box but ensure there is sufficient ventilation to prevent humidity & damp becoming a killer.

Global warming has depleted the harsh winters the older beekeepers will remember. Has anyone seen or believe the latest "long range" Weather forecasts??.............Perhaps an idea for a new post?

Perhaps better to have quoted my full comment, and perhaps I should have added that some of them insist on raising the crown board even with open mesh floors. They do it because they've always raised the crown board for winter.

I didn't quote your full post as I was using the comment about open mesh floors to ask a question about their use. There was nothing personal intended

And in their natural home of a hole in a tree with a small entrance near the bottom?

The practice of ventilating hives in this manner only started in 1941.
We require trickle ventilation because our comfort humidity is around 40% and we have taps that don't freeze rather than lick water from the walls and prefering 75%+ humidity. We also are worried about the house lasting well beyond the mortgage.

I remember 1963 when as a kid we were living in a 1940s bungalow with no insulation in the loft and single glazed steel framed Windows. Then there was 1981 in Scotland with -17C for few weeks. The water supply froze in the road and we didn't have water for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Double glazing doesn't contain bees who can reg their own humidity

The practice of ventilating hives in this manner only started in 1941.
We require trickle ventilation because our comfort humidity is around 40% and we have taps that don't freeze rather than lick water from the walls and prefering 75%+ humidity. We also are worried about the house lasting well beyond the mortgage.

I'm more interested in what conditions bees prefer in their natural habitat. No building regulations there.

It is important that beekeepers start preparing for the worst instead of getting caught by surprise later

Cellotex crownboards and snow guards already fitted... not a matchstick in sight... pantry stocked with tins and preserves... generator serviced and 5000 gallons of fuel oil in the tanks... and still have to fill the log store!
Hivemaker did point out that we are still in the ice age... did he not???

Nos da

Has anyone seen or believe the latest "long range" Weather forecasts??.

no - but obviously by your comments on more than one thread you're getting your knickers in a twist over it :D extreme long range weather 'forecasts' are about as much use as icing sugar dusters and frame holding racks IMHO

Back