Confession Time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think I better put my hands up
After a disastrous winter I was left with two colonies out of five
Two people here have given me bees. I have yet to collect a nuc and a very very kind neighbour gave me an overwintered nuc and they are doing brilliantly and I have just supered them.....I digress though.
I thought I might as well experiment so I bought a LASI queen with some of my birthday money .
She has been released one week but I found today she has a front leg missing so isn't laying.
That'll teach me.......

She has been released one week but I found today she has a front leg missing so isn't laying.

I am sorry to hear this Erica. Did you check her upon arrival? I am guessing that you didn't or you'd have contacted LASI then, huh? What a disappointment!

I simply looked into the cage and saw she was moving about like any of the other queens I have introduced. I am always wary of opening the cage. Perhaps I should.

Oh no. Sorry to hear that. If you didn't have bad luck, you would have none currently. (Beekeeping wise)

Don't despair. We had a hive at Association Apiary on two frames March . Queen had one leg missing. We thought they were gonners .. but fed and dummied down.

They are now with a full BB and staring a super. Queen still has one leg AWOL..

It's so upsetting when a queen disaster happens. I've had my share this year already. You never know ... She may start laying. Fingers crossed for you.

Oh no....that's is the pits! Call them and see if they will replace her...worth a try. You can share mine....if she continues to lay. You can come and help me do the testing if you like.

as Jack would say - that's what comes from buying magic beans! never mind, if it's any consolation I have a brood of unicorns just hatching - shall I keep you a pink one :D

I think I better put my hands up
After a disastrous winter I was left with two colonies out of five
Two people here have given me bees. I have yet to collect a nuc and a very very kind neighbour gave me an overwintered nuc and they are doing brilliantly and I have just supered them.....I digress though.
I thought I might as well experiment so I bought a LASI queen with some of my birthday money .
That'll teach me.......

Never mind Erica...would you like an applicatiion form to join my "Totally P*ssed Off Club"? Free lifetime membership. :banghead: :)

I have emailed them but the likelihood is that they would say she was damaged in the introduction

It's always worth a try. Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Good Luck

I am sorry to hear this Erica. Did you check her upon arrival? I am guessing that you didn't or you'd have contacted LASI then, huh? What a disappointment!

How would you check a queen upon arrival. Its really hard to see clearly enough through the plastic cage to inspect limbs - and the second you remove her from the cage it's hard to prove you didn't damage her during the manoeuvre.

and the second you remove her from the cage it's hard to prove you didn't damage her during the manoeuvre.
Exactly what OH said

Sorry to hear Erica.
I can sympathise, just recently I opened a cage to let the attendants out & ripped the queen in half. (she was stuck in the fondant) **it happens.

:hairpull:

Sorry to hear of your woes Erica. Time for me to 'their fess up too. I had a disastrous winter and thought I'd lost everything. I bought a nuc from M-------- Apiaries to replace and start from scratch. In despair I brought the hive down closer to home, set up again in a much warmer spot and they're thriving but one of the other hives was left close to the house with every intention of melting the wax and starting with fresh. Then I noticed some interest, left it till the evening when I thought it would be empty and I could do the necessary only to be greeted by a tiny colony snuggled down for the night. That threw me so I left it for a few days more thinking it would probably peter out to be greeted by a laying queen! I know for certain it isn't from my new colony, maybe a cast or feral. They're incredibly well behaved which is just as well as they're close to back door! I've now fed them and sorted their hive to give them every chance.

Latest posts

Back