concerned about stores for the winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
lots of activity with bees flying today, however they don't seem to be bringing any pollen back as its possible too late, my main concern is that they are using all their winter stores now. Had a quick look inside as it was warm and was surprised that the hive was full of bees, so I have put some fondant on and hoping for colder weather

I too have put a bag of fondant on today. Just over the feed hole for now, insulation on top of it.
Will move it beneath the crown board when I do my oxalic.
Still mild and nothing out there for them.

I even cut the grass today

lots of activity with bees flying today, however they don't seem to be bringing any pollen back as its possible too late, my main concern is that they are using all their winter stores now. Had a quick look inside as it was warm and was surprised that the hive was full of bees, so I have put some fondant on and hoping for colder weather

Goran, on another thread an hour or so ago, summarises well: consumption of stores usually slow before new year then speeds up in spring:
''At my place feeding now would be counterproductive.
It exhaust winter bees and when needed to go in spring build up, you got very weak colonies or dead ones. Approx. consumption for october 1-1,5kg, november around 1kg, december 1kg, january 1-1,5kg. So till February they don't eat much. With feed You just forcing them to convert and store the feed given and shorten their lives and making them weaker.. Real consumption here start in February..
We have Carniolan bees.

So because of that when mention feeding at your place it is strange to me what is the reason of feeding now.."

How do you know they are finding no nectar, even if no pollen? Are you hefting? Do you have no ivy nearby? I have been astonished at my colony's weight gain in recent weeks, on (I think) ivy.

Last edited:
Goran, on another thread an hour or so ago, summarises well: consumption of stores usually slow before new year then speeds up in spring:
''At my place feeding now would be counterproductive.
It exhaust winter bees and when needed to go in spring build up, you got very weak colonies or dead ones. Approx. consumption for october 1-1,5kg, november around 1kg, december 1kg, january 1-1,5kg. So till February they don't eat much. With feed You just forcing them to convert and store the feed given and shorten their lives and making them weaker.. Real consumption here start in February..
We have Carniolan bees.

So because of that when mention feeding at your place it is strange to me what is the reason of feeding now.."

Hi Amari,
I don't control the climate neither do my bees. I am with itma on this one, eventhough a newbie, I don't bee keep by the calendar, but by the climate. One of my colonies, which I thought had enough stores and winter bees have brooded like mad! I assume because of the mild weather, so I have just made them 2kg of fondant which will go on tomorrow, better safe than sorry. Last year I was happy to leave my bees until OA treatment, but this year they are still flying!

my concern is that the consumption will be higher than the 1kg stated, due to the warmer weather there is a lot more activity than would normally be expected, and if they are bringing food in within all likelihood there will be a deficit between consumption and collection.

One of my lot (the proper nuc) was going mad today, lots and lots of pollen going in (egg yolk and quite white), but so much activity (and noise) that I wondered if they were thinking of swarming! But I *hope* it was just a matter of excitement at catching a flow, plus the congestion at the mouseguarded entrance to the Payn nuc ...
All quietened down as the wind and rain arrived.

mine are busy on the loquat blossom which started this week. will keep them going until march.

Had to look that one up, couldn't send me a cutting could you? Sounds interesting! Do you ever get the fruit?
E

Hi Amari,
I don't control the climate neither do my bees. I am with itma on this one, eventhough a newbie, I don't bee keep by the calendar, but by the climate. One of my colonies, which I thought had enough stores and winter bees have brooded like mad! I assume because of the mild weather, so I have just made them 2kg of fondant which will go on tomorrow, better safe than sorry. Last year I was happy to leave my bees until OA treatment, but this year they are still flying!

Agree
Better safe than sorry. If they don't need the fondant, they won't take it.
I have also put some in place, over feed hole for now.
With bees still so active, they have to be using more stores than normal.

Sharon

Back