Common wasp on the steal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
been wathing the obsavation hive http://www.sysonby.com/beecam/ to witness a wasp enter the hive as if it was a bee guards not even had a chance :calmdown:
Q layed on screen 19.35 8 April 13 waiting for grubs to be capped on the 16/17 April if the books ive read are correct lol

Last edited:
Hi Chorlton Honey.
That appears to be most unusual and does not bode well for the season! Thanks for the warning. I shall not be in a hurry to take mouse guard off my PH.

been wathing the obsavation hive http://www.sysonby.com/beecam/ to witness a wasp enter the hive as if it was a bee guards not even had a chance :calmdown:l
Possibly a queen wasp. I have seen queen bumble bees wander in sometimes too. They usually wander. Also one year I found a few queen wasps sheltering in the roofs in the Spring.

Possibly a queen wasp. I have seen queen bumble bees wander in sometimes too. They usually wander. Also one year I found a few queen wasps sheltering in the roofs in the Spring.

Our local conservation group has asked us not to put wasp traps up this year due to low numbers of overwintering queen wasps

Doesn't affect me as I don't use them

It wont let me log in.

Even after a password reminder...

Boo, its been deactivated.

Mouseguard on or off?

All,

In the nice weather today I decided to help the bees by taking off the mouse guards. Then further up this thread, I read this regarding wasps.

Hi Chorlton Honey.
That appears to be most unusual and does not bode well for the season! Thanks for the warning. I shall not be in a hurry to take mouse guard off my PH.

Question is
Mouseguard on or off?

Thanks

Yes, undoubtedly an over-wintered Q looking for a nest site.

Could be she gets past the guard bees because her flight pattern is different from that of wasps intent on robbing?

Our local conservation group has asked us not to put wasp traps up this year due to low numbers of overwintering queen wasps

Doesn't affect me as I don't use them

Wasp traps are for the useless beekeepers, or the ones that want to keep small and weak colonies, like observation hives.

Wasp traps are for the useless beekeepers, or the ones that want to keep small and weak colonies, like observation hives.

do i sense you are not keen on people keeping observation hive :icon_204-2:
i believe a lot can learned from watching them, after all if i wasn't at that time i couldn't of made my OBERVATION :judge:
I Dont agree with obervation hive are weak or small just nice to watch and enjoy i have seen alot of thing going on in them which you would not see on an inspection
Alan CHB

What book did you read that in?

I Dont agree with obervation hive are weak or small just nice to watch and enjoy i have seen alot of thing going on in them which you would not see on an inspection

Well, they are usually small but that doesnt make them weak. If they were then I wouldnt have to split mine twice each year.

Only just getting any capped brood. Queen started to lay 3 weeks ago but then there was a drop in temperature and the eggs didnt develop, but they have done so during the last few days.
Never seem to have had many drones in the obs hive.

Latest posts

Back