Commercial to national, whats the best way??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rje66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Later in season im giving a friend a nuc to get him going. His equipment is national and mine commercial. Whats thebest way to do this?
Am thinking, he gives me a national hive plus a hamilton converter and i transfer over then either dummie down or add in frames and foundation.
Any advice welcome😀😀

Cut comb and elastic band into other Frames, my choice

Whats the best way to do this?

As they're the same footprint, you could put his National ontop of your Commercial and allow the bees to expand onto the frames, then, put the nuc on a floor in another apiary, give them a queen/cell and off they go.

As they're the same footprint, you could put his National ontop of your Commercial and allow the bees to expand onto the frames, then, put the nuc on a floor in another apiary, give them a queen/cell and off they go.
Hadn't thought of this. Thanks

Why Q cell and not the original Queen?

How good a friend is the real questions: D as to how far you go helping out. You could also shake remaining bees from C frames into the new N frames hive and boost your own colony with left over brood frames... Or keep the lot lol:biggrinjester:

I produce national nucs but offer other sizes if people want to bring me their sized equipment and nuc three weeks in advance, I've done dadant, 14×12, top bars, commercials, langstroths, even a skep and the simplest way is to shook swarm a good nuc into the new equipment and feed. The brood from the original nuc can be put over a strong colony to finish. I like to wait untill the first brood is hatching and the little colony looks secure before passing on the new nuc hence the three weeks.

Latest posts

Back