Commercial Nuc Wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I am new to bee keeping and have a 2nd hand commercial hive (deep brood chamber with 2 deep national supers). I have no bees yet but can't find many suppliers of nucs in my region cheshire on commercial frames. Most nucs are on national frames. What are my options - Change to national brood or can I modify the brood chamber to suit national frames or can i buy a nuc on national frames and gradually change the frames. If this is a daft question please tell me

Thanks

Steve

The issues with putting a National nuc into a commercial box are twofold...

1. The frame top bars are slightly shorter and because of the narrower frame width there is a risk of the frames falling into the box. We haven't found bees building brace comb up the sides.

2. The frames being shallower allow wild comb on the bottom...this is fine by us as it allows the bees free expression over drone production and easy IPM drone comb.

So....the sensible thing is to attach blocks at the sides to stop lateral movement of the frames. Cable ties to top and bottom to secure. Then change them out in slow time.

And being pedantic you don't mean deep supers, just supers...unless you mean brood boxes for supers which I don't expect you do.

Lastly you should try finding a source of affordable commercial nuc boxes!!

Last edited:
...unless you mean brood boxes for supers which I don't expect you do.

He might do 'cos that's what I use will my Commercial hives....and double Nationals for that matter!

Thanks for the advice, I will keep looking for a commercial frame for a couple of weeks.

My supers are about 8 1/2 inch deep.

My floor is solid, but I have read that a varona mesh floor is better for the bees would you advise that I change?

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks for the advice, I will keep looking for a commercial frame for a couple of weeks.

My supers are about 8 1/2 inch deep.

My floor is solid, but I have read that a varona mesh floor is better for the bees would you advise that I change?

Thanks again

Steve

Steve - send me a PM with your location.

I can come visit if you like (and not too far away!) and may be able to help with a Commercial nuc for you.

Newbie response (who has a couple of national nuc boxes (empty at present) but uses commercials), couldn't you shake bees from nuc, put queen excluder under brood to keep hm at home & feed well until drawing & settled ?

Newbie response (who has a couple of national nuc boxes (empty at present) but uses commercials), couldn't you shake bees from nuc, put queen excluder under brood to keep hm at home & feed well until drawing & settled ?

excellent response Woodfenbeam, only downside being wasting a bit of brood, and I s'pose that could be donated to a nearby national owner if it was known to be desease free.

Latest posts

Back