comb in fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvySalli

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I went into winter with a strong colony in an insulated national. Treated 8 seams with oxalic acid in January. In the last 10 days or so they've romped through the fondant having finished their stores I presume. Now there are so many bees at the top and they've braced up to the clear crown board under the fondant hole and they're building cells (look suspiciously like queen cups) in the fondant bag.

I haven't inspected them yet but will use a torch to see if the seams are full of bees all the way down, in case they're only at the top so that it looks as if there are more than there are.

I have a second brood box ready but hadn't planned to be putting it on this early - once the weather's warm enough, but one beekeeper friend thinks I should put it on and the other doesn't!

What do you think? Opinions about my next step welcome!

Attachments

• tmp_14200-received_101541724880670381766281656.jpeg
    tmp_14200-received_101541724880670381766281656.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 76
Heft or weigh your hive and you might be pleasantly surprised. bees usually make comb in fondant containers if there is no room for the queen to lay (full of stores). Stop feeding and have a look in the hive.

I had forgotten that they might do that. However there is still an empty super (their winter stores which were finished about a month ago, judging by that being when they started on the fondant) underneath the brood box. Forgot to mention it.

It'll be some days before the weather's warm enough to replace the crown board but it's ready and I'll take the fondant & board off at the first opportunity, and can take a quick look. It's thoroughly attached to the frames so it's going to take a few minutes to get it off.

There's SO much to learn!

Last edited:
I had forgotten that they might do that. However there is still an empty super (their winter stores which were finished about a month ago, judging by that being when they started on the fondant) underneath the brood box. Forgot to mention it.

It'll be some days before the weather's warm enough to replace the crown board but it's ready and I'll take the fondant & board off at the first opportunity, and can take a quick look. It's thoroughly attached to the frames so it's going to take a few minutes to get it off.

There's SO much to learn!

How did you manage to do that..:laughing-smiley-004

The first 2017 inspection of my hive on Saturday found comb in the fondant, although there are still two or three undrawn frames left for them to fill. That comb was full of honey, so I'd assume they're not short of space - although they have always seemed reluctant to use the frames nearest the door (warm way).

The first 2017 inspection of my hive on Saturday found comb in the fondant, although there are still two or three undrawn frames left for them to fill. That comb was full of honey, so I'd assume they're not short of space - although they have always seemed reluctant to use the frames nearest the door (warm way).

Rearrange them so the bees draw them.

I've already moved one of the drawn (but almost completely empty) stores frames one place nearer the door, and I'm considering whether to move one of the central brood frames to the outside of the brood circle (as per Hooper) to encourage expansion there too.

Back