Colony extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Yesterday i had a extraction to do on a colony that needed to be gone.
It was at a boarding kennels and for obvious reasons they couldnt be left where they were without posing a risk.

Earlier on this spring i decided to revamp the bee vac and make a new one but smaller than last years invention. Its lighter and has slightly more suction than the original.
Yesterday was the first test.

When i arrived i had a quick look outside.

_MG_4533resize.jpg

From the photo you cant tell how busy it was, but fairly strong activity and plenty of cream coloured pollen going in.

I was going to video the whole thing, but on inspection inside, the place was so full of crap and dark it wasnt worth videoing.
On the inside was a sheet of plywood 3/4" thick. I assumed the combs would be attached to both plywood and outside weatherboard. I wasnt wrong. I eased the 8 x 4' sheet off the wall as gently as i could but a fair lump of comb broke in half and splat on the floor.

This was what was left

_MG_4536resize.jpg

Using the mini vac i hoovered 95% of the bees up, but considering that a fair amount of bees went down with the comb that broke, i cant be sure that i got the queen. It was way to dark to look for her inside anyway.

But overal i think it was a successful rescue effort. All the comb with brood i cut into open frames with elastic bands. I also put fresh foundation frames in to bulk out the box and give the bees something to do.

I looked this morning and although there was some sense of chaos, i think in a day or two they will settle and next week i can see if the queen is there.

To my suprise, i didnt recieve a single sting, they didnt even attempt it. Are my days of angry bees over i wonder?

Latest posts

Back