Clover nectar flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham40

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
30+
I remember seeing somewhere that clover nectar starts to flow when the temperature is higher than 24C. Is that about right?

I usually go by the fact if you can smell it, its producing however we aren't getting the temperature just now so might take the suppers off and feed heavy syrup to give them a boost, oilseed rapes finnished here so theres going to be a gap.

Factors affecting nectar flow.

1. time of day
2. Wind and humidity
3. Temperature
4. Soil moisture content
5. Position of flower on inflorescence
6. Topography
7. Age of plant
8. Shading
9. Nature of soil

Under 15% sugar content the bees are not usually interested.

I left a couple of patches of clover in my front lawn but only the Bumbles seem to have found it.
However, my honey bees have at last found the Cabbage Palm (Cordyline Australis), which is in flower at the moment and there are equal quantities of Bumbles and Honey Bees on that - go girls, go!

Also in South London, I'm hopeful the warm humid weather forcast for the weekend will coincide with flowering.

Next week Suzi is expected to be hot in London and predicted to reach 30* by next weekend the Limes round my way should be fully out by then as the flowers are just starting to open.

Don't know what is out in Sutton / London area but yesterday and last night my bees were working the most I have seen this year.....both hives were non stop with so many bees in and out and also loads of pollen.
It had started raining around 5pm and yet the bees were still hammering it at 8.30 - 9pm through the drizzle.

I left a couple of patches of clover in my front lawn but only the Bumbles seem to have found it.
However, my honey bees have at last found the Cabbage Palm (Cordyline Australis), which is in flower at the moment and there are equal quantities of Bumbles and Honey Bees on that - go girls, go!

Hi there,
I have done the same. Hoping they get on it for Sunday. They eventually did it last year and it was an amazing sight! Bees systematically every 50cm on the lawn. They are so clever!

Hi all,
Glad I cut the lawn high last week! My bees are on the white clover en masse! Great to see.

To clover soil must be moist. It should be several days heat before flow starts.

What temperature do you have down there, beeno? We are set to reach the dizzy height of 20*C today!! My bees are still building up but some clover honey might be nice stores for them!

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Hi Rosco and Finman,
Forecast 26C, but just for you Rosco my thermometer placed in amongst the clover measured 32C! Finman we had rain two days ago, yday unbearable humidity and today the heat. All I am saying is they are on it!

I have half acre of white clover. Bumbles but no honey bees. But today the smell was wonderful. Think the 24 degree statement could be correct could be a good week.

Beeno, thank you for that! Did I read somewhere the forecast temperatures are in the shade? Could explain it?

The weather here is forecast at 20 degrees as I said but I have seen the odd honey bee, bumble bee, and hoverfly on the clover in my garden, so I'm beginning to feel hopeful, especially as it is set to warm up even more on Sunday and Monday!

I have been watching the clover grow all around my location lately, in the hope that the temperatures would rise, so am doubly excited! I love the fact that beekeeping has made me take more interest in my surroundings and weather patterns than ever before.

Thanks again, Beeno!

Parsnips???
yes parsnips as in the roast veg you have at Xmas it has flowers that have lots of nectar
picture.php

and lots of bees
picture.php

Our flowering parsnip patch buzzes allday

Last edited:
Yes always on ours too also the brassicas we let go to seed the ladys really enjoy them .Loving the Astrantias at the moment an all the flowers are so totty .

Silly question...:D I have a garden full of white clover...BUt never seen a honey bees on there - only bumbles - any suggestions??

Latest posts

Back