What Temperature for Nectar Flow?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I remember seeing somewhere that clover nectar starts to flow when the temperature is higher than 24C. I guess that other plants have their own temperatures...

Does anyone happen to know the temperature for lavender?

Is there a reference that has the information?

Thanks in advance,

Roche

This is all academic. If you want to know if your lavender is producing nectar have a look to see if there are bees on it. If there are then yes, if not then no.
Goes for all the others too. We have fields of clover here and the scent when walking through them is intoxicating. Not intoxicating for the bees though..........sigh

Just remember that forecasted or actual daytime temperatures are given in the shade of a Stevenson's Screen. The temperature in the sunshine (wots that? you ask) can be much higher. I suspect that if your bees are not on White clover or lavender, then they will be on something that they prefer - like Lime.

Of course, this is pure speculation. Bees know best.

Hives situated next to a large lavender farm in the North have consistently not produced any lavender honey.

What conditions it does require are anyones guess when the local temperatures have hit 30+ deg C

Factors affecting nectar flow.

1. time of day
2. Wind and humidity
3. Temperature
4. Soil moisture content
5. Position of flower on inflorescence
6. Topography
7. Age of plant
8. Shading
9. Nature of soil

Under 15% sugar content the bees are not usually interested.

From Yates et al.

rwestoll

You are totally correct.

There is a huge flowering Lime tree near my bees. As soon as the blossom side is in the sun the bees disappear from ground level flowers

I have buckets of white clover around my apiary but the bees aren't working it. Even though it's the best type; i.e. second growth after cutting with shorter corolla tubes.

With white clover, the temperatures have to be pretty high to push the nectar up the corolla tubes to be within reach of the bees (Apis mellifera mellifera) probiscus.

I can't comment on the 'Italian' Apis mellifera ligustica which have a longer probiscus, for these are not in the R.O.Ireland.

Last edited:
There is a fair bit of clover in our lawn/moss ;) here is one working it, there are quite a few bees there but more bumblers than AMM
picture.php

Yes, it is an academic question - the bees may be on whatever flower at the time, but what is making the nectar flow? (rhetorical question) Knowing that something is happening is one thing, knowing why it is happening is another, that generally makes life much richer.

The much broader question that I didn't realise I had asked and that PeterS so ably answered (thank you PeterS) is "what are the conditions affecting nectar flow?" which is all very interesting, as are the mechanics of the white clover nectaries. I need to read more...

Thanks,

Roche

Ive been told 3 days at 70 guess thats about 21 in new money and clover nectar will flow. Hadnt notice that working though unless its supposed to be that temp at night also.

"I have buckets of white clover"?

But is it the RIGHT clover. The clover that you want is the wild white, grows very low and has the small heads. There is a lot of it where I walk the dogs so will take the camera this morning and get a pic.

Also BTY from the Prof of botany at Aberdeen uni, "clover does best with in 7 miles of the coast, it likes a drop of salt"

PH

Latest posts

Back