Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

thedeaddiplomat 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
I have seen mention on here of using clove oil spray on gloves, where there has been a sting. I assume that this disguises the pheromones that encourage other bees to join in?

If so, can someone tell me where to buy such a spray, please? And are there other things (lavender oil?) that have similar effects?

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I find a tablespoon full of cider vinegar in 1 pint of water to be very effective - and cheap:smilielol5:

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Carbolic soap is an old tried and tested method :gnorsi:.

John Wilkinson

Foxylad 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Less than 10
I try and use sugar syrup instead of smoke. I find it gets onto my hands which is the most exposed. They seem more interested in the syrup than stinging me.

susbees 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
Essential clove oil is sold in Boots... not with the essential oils but with the emergency dentistry bits. Two or three drops in a small sprayer or lidded bottle. Also oil of peppermint does the same thing but it's a boring smell.

Sugar water is what we use for spraying hives but not all over the gloves. If it's hot they like a plain water spray with a couple of drops of chamomile oil. I don't like to clart my gloves in sugar water...increases the risk of bee squish.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Sugar water???

Sugar water is what we use for spraying hives but not all over the gloves. If it's hot they like a plain water spray with a couple of drops of chamomile oil. I don't like to clart my gloves in sugar water...increases the risk of bee squish.[/QUOTE]
I'm probably a bit slow on the uptake but could you clarify- do you use a sugar water sprayer instead of a smoker to calm the hive during a routine inspection, or just in particular circumstances? I've seen mentions of using sugar water, but never a description. Basically, A) when, B) where, C) how, D) why, and E) what strength- but any other details would also be welcome!

Many thanks

Latest posts