Cloudy Honey Problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Recently found that some of my honey had crystallised. Following advice on this forum I used a Baby Burco type boiler to raise the temperature to 37C and it dutifully liquified. However after filtering it through a well known double filter system it is refusing to clear. It does have a slightly granular consistency and I have subjected a sample to repeated warming into the microwave and it did clear.
I am therefore assuming it has not fully liquified.
I note previous threads which have been discussed this problem which were enlightening.
Despite being a newcomer to all this I feel it does need more heating to a higher temperature to fully liquify it but am concerned about affecting it’s quality
I would appreciate any advice from the more learned members on the forum about high I can heat it without affecting the quality.
Also I did note one reference to warming it to around 50C for 45 minutes. I assume that is measured by checking the temperature of the actual honey with a suitable thermometer. Is that true?

Thank you in advance

37c isn't warm enough
50c is ok it can be at that temp for a short while, 60c for 45mins/hour is what the BBKA recommends for shelf life.
The hotter it gets the faster it's ruined.

Thank you for your reply. I will look up the info on BBKA website. I assume they mean you can heat it to 60C for 45 mins to ensure it won’t crystallise whilst on the shelf rather than “ sterilising “ it to prolong shelf life

I feel it does need more heating to a higher temperature to fully liquify
What drives your need to clear it? For show honey, perhaps, or to get it out of a bucket, but for retail or personal consumption, it is what it is.

BBKA ... I assume they mean you can heat it to 60C for 45 mins to ensure it won’t crystallise whilst on the shelf rather than “ sterilising “ it to prolong shelf life
Does that mean heat the honey to 60C, or the air around it? These vague recommendations never define which, with the concurrent risk of overheating.

All honey will, in time, crystallise on the shelf but this demonstrates that it hasn't been fiddled with by the producer.

If you really want to ensure shelf life, go to the expense of pasteurising and filtering industrially using diatomaceous earth, by which time it will be indistinguishable from mass-market processed and cleansed honey (from which we usually aim to distance our product).

PS: sterilising has no place in honey processing.

Thank you for the replies. I am keen to do the least I can to my honey. My only concern is of the cloudy appearance and its marketability. I have only seen clear honey for sale around various small retail outlets and online never any cloudy ones. Perhaps it is my inexperience showing.
Will people buy cloudy honey?

Yes.

If you wish, add a label to this effect: Pure honey crystallises naturally. To clear it, stand the jar in very hot water.

Labels are available which say much the same but do drag. Some recommend using a microwave, or heating the jar in water, or leaving a jar in a warm location for 24 hours, but I reckon they copy each other without checking which works best and which might damage the honey. They certainly need editing (and it's heat gently, not gently heat). 👺

Thank you for the replies. I am keen to do the least I can to my honey. My only concern is of the cloudy appearance and its marketability. I have only seen clear honey for sale around various small retail outlets and online never any cloudy ones. Perhaps it is my inexperience showing.
Soft set it. I sell more soft set than runny and once a batch is done it needs no more attention.

Recently found that some of my honey had crystallised. Following advice on this forum I used a Baby Burco type boiler to raise the temperature to 37C and it dutifully liquified. However after filtering it through a well known double filter system it is refusing to clear. It does have a slightly granular consistency and I have subjected a sample to repeated warming into the microwave and it did clear.
I am therefore assuming it has not fully liquified.
I note previous threads which have been discussed this problem which were enlightening.
Despite being a newcomer to all this I feel it does need more heating to a higher temperature to fully liquify it but am concerned about affecting it’s quality
I would appreciate any advice from the more learned members on the forum about high I can heat it without affecting the quality.
Also I did note one reference to warming it to around 50C for 45 minutes. I assume that is measured by checking the temperature of the actual honey with a suitable thermometer. Is that true?

Thank you in advance
I Have in the past had the same problem. I thought it would clarify in time but did not. By this time I had already jarred and labeled it.
My wife suggested putting the jars in the oven at low temperature. I was quite sceptical but tried this without even loosening the tops.
The oven set at the lowest possible temperature it worked without bringing the temp. above 40deg C.
So as you mentioned you need to heat it longer and it will clarify.

Back