Clip or not clip?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are retired, have unlimited time or keep bees where you can inspect regularly anytime the weather is good I think it is hard to justify. If you work, are time restricted, have out apiaries I think not only is it a good idea it could be argued is actually responsible in that you will reduce your swarms.

How, two things made it easy for me, one was the one handed queen catcher, you put her in there and after a couple of pushes up a wing will pop up through the gap. Secondly is to use curved micro scissors like these - see pic. Much easier to use and as the points curve up ZERO chance of catching the bee with them.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 12

I swiped a pair that look very similar from my wifes sowing box ;):oops::sneaky:

I do clip control mated queens but don't clip naturally mated queens.

Anyone else see the video of the pseudo hearts pumping haemolymph around a butterflies 🦋 wings?
Since seeing that I've limited my clipping to queens who've already started making swarm prep, they're only good for one more push of building a nest anyway imho so not much lost if she's damaged

It’s because folk think they make them more visible to a hunting swift or swallow

Well, I can't say whether that's true or not. I can only say that I've done it this way for many years and learned a few things along the way. One of the things that surprised me the most is that virgin queens may leave their nuc and enter another one (not necessarily adjacent or pointing in the same direction). If you don't have your queens numbered, you may not notice this. It's one of the things that made me determined to mark them upon emergence and keep records of their lineage. Without this, you can't be sure that the queen you find in a nuc is actually the one you think should be in there. IMHO, it is an essential part of selective breeding.

Well, I can't say whether that's true or not. I can only say that I've done it this way for many years and learned a few things along the way. One of the things that surprised me the most is that virgin queens may leave their nuc and enter another one (not necessarily adjacent or pointing in the same direction). If you don't have your queens numbered, you may not notice this. It's one of the things that made me determined to mark them upon emergence and keep records of their lineage. Without this, you can't be sure that the queen you find in a nuc is actually the one you think should be in there. IMHO, it is an essential part of selective breeding.
I remember an article somewhere where the stomach contents of a downed swift were analysed and it was full of drones.
And I also remember a Facebook post from one of our ex member complaining about the bad queen mating one year so the following year he shut the doors of his barn where swallows were nesting for a couple of days and he got his queens mated.

I clip my Q's on the comb (one needs quiet calm bees), I lay the frame /comb on the top bars and gently hold the Q from the front do the deed. If a Q faint's then the deed is easier to get on with.

Latest posts

Back