Cleaning extraction equipment, before and after.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So got a shiny new extractor set from Maisie’s and have grabbed 4 beautiful frames from my only hive that seems interested in capping off honey. Plus one bee who managed to sneak into the plastic box with the frames despite my best efforts.

So to clean the extraction equipment before use is washing up liquid sufficient or so I need to get the old soda crystals out?

Same question for afterwards, lots of hot water and washing up liquid?

Process wise it’s extract in the spinner, filter into a settling tank, then jar up After a few days?

Thanks, really excited to try some honey from my own girls.

So got a shiny new extractor set from Maisie’s and have grabbed 4 beautiful frames from my only hive that seems interested in capping off honey. Plus one bee who managed to sneak into the plastic box with the frames despite my best efforts.

So to clean the extraction equipment before use is washing up liquid sufficient or so I need to get the old soda crystals out?

Same question for afterwards, lots of hot water and washing up liquid?

Process wise it’s extract in the spinner, filter into a settling tank, then jar up After a few days?

Thanks, really excited to try some honey from my own girls.
Do not ever use hot water after extracting honey. You will simply melt any wax left behind and smear it all over the inside.
I take mine outside into the garden and hose it down with cold water

neither - just clean fresh water, easiest way is to take the extractor outside and give it a good blast with the hose.

I take the extractor outside and blast with the power hose and let it drain. Then fill right up and let it soak and turn the handle. Let it soak and drain it off. I drain it into a watering can - several/many times over and water the baskets of flowers and veg garden.

I have neither a garden hose (garden is the size of a Transit) nor pressure washer, but do the same job with about three buckets of cold water.

Take out the cage and lids and wash in a cold shower.

Trickle cold water and scrub the drum sides with a stainless steel kitchen thing; repeat, empty, repeat.

Never use soap or cleaner.

Pressure washer and cold water.

Why don't extractors have auto-clean like our kitchen sink?
Admittedly it can be annoying if you're halfway through something ,pop out to the shed and come back to find its all on the draining board but it's still a useful function once you've mastered its idiosyncrasies.

Latest posts

Back