Clean wax.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric knockalt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8-10
Have melted a fair bit of wax from my solar extractor around a pound n a half some is what i regard clean but some blocks have little bits of old cells ,i re-heat in my little double boiler ,this gives me the good top clean wax what is a good way to filter for cleaning the rest up?This was not done in the last few days ,cold n wet no heatwave yet,whats the trade value against new foundation sheets from suppliers.

Eric.

Less tha a kg? That is only a small amount. I would forget trading it unless part of a larger group. Store it, or get a small mould and make an ornament, or a couple or three candles.

With your number of colonies you should soon accumulate a few kg.

If you really want to know I suggest you look at the Th*rne catalogue or email some of the suppliers who swap or trade wax.

You multiply the weight (in lbs) by the key code number for the type of foundation you wish to swap for, so for example from T's the code for BS deep (ordinary National brood) wired is 3.75. I took in 10lbs x 3.75 gives 37.5 sheets....I got 38. That's up to 50lbs in weight, over 50lbs and you get more, in this instance 4.25.

Frisbee

When you melt your wax in a soar extractor melt it on hessian sacking. You lose quite a bit to start with while it soaks through but when it finally starts running it comes out lovely and clean. At the end of the year use the sacking to start a bonfire(stand back !!)

Only if you wanted to adapt it into a flame thrower!

Thanks been told a piece of muslin in the tray as a filter works too and leaves good clean wax,firestarter material as well that cuts down on the firelighters then.
Fed three colonies last night still cold n grey here fingers crossed the sun will shine today at some point,let them spread their wings.

Latest posts

Back