Choice of Gloves ... for a newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The justgloves link looks very similar to the one's sold by lakeland but slightly more expensive but in white colour.

Thanks for all the replies to my posting “Choice of Bee Suit” … I think I have decided on the one piece outfit, with the round hat, as opposed to the fencing style. Two members of a recent course, kept having to pull the mesh off their faces. OK a baseball hat underneath might help, maybe even offering more protection. Decisions !!

Now what about gloves ..

On the course, all the students (5) were wearing washing up gloves… I had a lovely pink pair, but as a chap I’m not too sure they suited me. :)

Anyway, none of us got stung

Looking on the internet, many folk say they have more feeling with thin gloves, rather than the heavier leather type ones.

Which would folk here recommend please ?

Thanks

ps I suppose it would depend on the bees too ... happy calm bees, would be suitable for thin gloves, wee stinkers of bees, heavy gloves.

The round hat style all in one are awful. I find them moving all over the place at the wrong moment.

A baseball cap is perfect for fencing style veils, and a buff or bandana useful to stop the sweat running down on hot days.

If I have to use gloves, Nitrile - for light work. Marigold Tough for really bad bees.
Nitrile +Marigold Tough for horrible bees.

Nitrile tend to sweat a lot but deflect most stings. Good touch sense.
Marigold - less sweat, tougher, deflect more stings. Poor touch sense.

I usually use bare skin +Olbas Oil to deter stinging.. Works quite well. No sweat, teaches you to feel bees under your fingers before you crush them...
On average 2 stings a week during the season.

I've found clove oil useful for deterring the bees when handling.

Hi Willie Bee,
Round hat or fencing hat same problem of not staying put. Only a question of which one you think you look less of a wally in.
As to gloves I use marigolds one pair of medium over one pair of small. They can't get through that!

Hi Willie Bee,
Round hat or fencing hat same problem of not staying put. Only a question of which one you think you look less of a wally in.
As to gloves I use marigolds one pair of medium over one pair of small. They can't get through that!

My first practical session was in a borrowed all-in-one suit with a round veil hat. It kept tipping forwards in use over the brood. Following this I bought a similar suit from an ebay shop. The veil hat has a velcro adjuster in the headband and does not slip in use. Bees still crap on it though :-(

I think all the hats move a bit, especially in an all-in-one suit because arm movement pulls the hat around. It's just a case of finding the best way to deal with it.

I prefer the round veil because it's easier to see through, and leaves a larger space between potentially irritated bees and me.

Two members of a recent course, kept having to pull the mesh off their faces. OK a baseball hat underneath might help, maybe even offering more protection.

Tried that,went against all my principles and wore a baseball cap - didn't work bees kept stinging me on the nose still!!
Maybe next time I'll buy one of those hats with the peak at the front :D

Fencing veils work very well...

My first practical session was in a borrowed all-in-one suit with a round veil hat. It kept tipping forwards in use over the brood. Following this I bought a similar suit from an ebay shop. The veil hat has a velcro adjuster in the headband and does not slip in use. Bees still crap on it though :-(

Simple solution as always. Why don't they all have that!

Hi all,
A word of caution. I was stung on the chin through the veil brushing a swarm of bees into box as I was looking upwards at them and the hat slipped back!

Latest posts

Back