Children

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
How old should children be before you let them any where near bees?

How old should children be before you let them any where near bees?
If your children play in the garden they will come into contact with all sorts of insects. time to introduce to more concentrated populations, eg honeybees depends on how well you have educated and explained them. Kids are curious and learn by experience so explaining that a sting hurts and encouaging them to be fully protected around bees will be beneficial. my son was into beetles until one bit him. You learn by experience.

I think is down the adult to decide.
if you think your child / children are very carm and dont get to excited with enjoyment/fear and you are patient with them why not.
A 5 year old can be more sensible than a 10 year old its down to the individual child, Education should be done early in live so go for it
out of interest what age is the child :party:

Hes 4 but by next spring hell be 5 and that's when I'm thinking about hes very sensible and calm and knows that bees can sting. We have had lots of chats and looked through children's and adults bee books. Modern beekeeping do suits and gloves for children

Last edited:
At 5 my grandchild was waving hands about jumping at every flying insect (like his mother:willy_nilly:)- but at 7 he helped me collect a tiny cast. Softly softly catch em young.

He was the one that asked if i could go on the net and get him a bee suit so he could have a look in the hives. I wouldn't force him in case I put him off.

my daugther was 3 1/2 when she wore a adult size suit and looked in a hive. all i could hear was '' hummm honey, honey bees. '' she loved it. for xmas she will be getting a suit plus her normal toys.

p.s. she and her bother loves licking the empty honey bucket after ive finished with it. And she know the differance between a honey bee and a wasp

I would have thought the answer is in the kids themselves. They should be able to remain calm or they will be attracting trouble and focused enough to realise that they are dealing with wild creatures. I believe kids of any age can witness the marvels of the hive so long as they are properly protected, but it is when they begin to appreciate that bees are independent, complex and self determinate that the kids start to flourish in the joys of the art. Mind you, my 8 year old works her hives like they were one of her dolls houses...

...and most of the time her uncomplicated approach out-performs my efforts.

I have a four year old grandson that helps me when he can, he is wrapped and taped up in an adult beesuit(it takes longer to wrap him up than go through the bees).
Once he realised that he couldnt be stung he loved it, he knows a lot about bees and i have enjoyed listening to him as he explains what bees do to his older brother and friends. He doesnt like wasps though, poor little soul is a proper wasp magnet, he seems to get stung once a fortnight

When they are 35 or learn to be sensible - whichever comes first!

It's lovely to hear the stories of children being involved in beekeeping.

Apis I think your daughter could teach me alot!!!

I have an 11, a 10 and a 2.

The 11 and 10 take it in turns to put on a suit and come and watch - the other one gets stuck with the 2 year old. if they are protected and sensible then I am comfortable, PROVIDED the bees are likely to be sensible and we're not doing anything too provocative. If it feels likely to be a difficult one, I'd rather they were all in watching TV.

The 2 year old is desperate to watch - we wrap her up in an adult top and let her stand at the gate to the bee yard once in a while.

My daughter is 10 and is autistic, when a bug of any type goes near her she screams ...but shes mad about bees and takes in all info i tell her about them. Shes been on to me to take her to our apiary so a couple of weeks ago we did and kept her away to start with,by the end she was standing next to us not the slightest bit bothered by the girls and loved it.Now of course she wants to help out every time:party:

Ade - our 11 year old won't be in the same room as a wasp, yet watched the inspection of four hives yesterday quite happily (suited up). I wonder whether it's the suit or our own reactions to the insects. Still, it's a joy to watch their fascination with the bees, isn't it?

Ade - our 11 year old won't be in the same room as a wasp, yet watched the inspection of four hives yesterday quite happily (suited up). I wonder whether it's the suit or our own reactions to the insects. Still, it's a joy to watch their fascination with the bees, isn't it?

My wife hates anything with legs or wings and screams so shes probably got it from her, im of course the other way ....But your right its a joy to watch, i almost had a tear in the old eye to see her turn fear into fascination,will get her more into it next year...maybe santa shops at BB wear :cheers2:

My wife hates anything with legs or wings and screams so shes probably got it from her, im of course the other way ....But your right its a joy to watch, i almost had a tear in the old eye to see her turn fear into fascination,will get her more into it next year...maybe santa shops at BB wear :cheers2:

Maybe so - if so, I hope it's a happy Christmas for all!

We introduced our grandaughter to a couple of hives a few weeks ago,she is not good with insects a trait picked up from her mum,however explaining things first and the fact that she had just done a bee related subject at school and we had a funky bee suitfor her things worked out very well.
The wife made a 15 minute video from start to finish.
Every week my 6 year old grandaughter phones and asks when she can and look at the the bees.

As long as the child is wearing the right protection then any age as long as they want to.

Latest posts

Back