Chick born with lump

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cak29

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We are hatching chicks for the first time and it has been disappointing so far with only 2 out of 30 hatched (3 more look like they are trying) and they are about 3+ days late (we had a powercut the weekend before and I think this has caused some problems).

Anyone the second chick has hatched with a pink lump coming out of its bum and it looks like a hernia, I'm thinking she may die, but wondered if anyone else had had this happen to them and has any advice?

It sounds like it is it's yolk sac that has not fully absorbed. They usually absorb quickly after they have hatched (within the first day) but it is quite unusual for them to have unabsorbed sac if they are late.

How long was the power off for? Were the others fertile and developing well?

I think that temp was a bit lower than it should have been and the power was off for about 5 hours, others are starting to pip now so I am crossing my fingers very firmly that more are on their way and the temp has just slowed their development and not halted it.

I think there may be a number of factors including an aging cockerel so we are planning to candle the unhatched eggs.

Thanks for your response, a few people have now said that so I am hoping that it will sort itself out in due course.

If the temp was lowr than it should be for the whole of incubation then that would certainly explain why all the late hatches.

I hope they are all picking up and hatching now.

The one with the lump has now died and the 3rd hatchling is not walking because of a limb foot. I don't think I was meant to hatch my own chicks. The 1st is good and strong but is not looking like there are many more on the way. Oh well I tried, looks like I may need to buy some. Thanks for your help.

It's always upsetting when a hatch goes badly. Hatching your own us always a risk especially as the much beloved survivor invariably turns out to be male!

I hope you can put this bad situation behind you and that you get a hen from the survivor. It's getting a bit late in the year to try again and probably best to not worry about it this year. Next year you can always try again.

Ps. What sort if limp is it? There are a couple of things like spraddle leg that are easily treated if managed early. Look at one of the many chicken dedicated websites for more precise advice.

Thanks for your comments. 3rd one with the leg died as well, think it was broken as just wasn't walking. 1st one still healthy and fingers crossed think is female because of the colouring of first feathers (is a Marran cross), but that could be wishful thinking. Yep think the 2nd had a yolk sack, just wasn't strong enough to survive.

Decided as you said was getting a bit late in the year to try again and didn't want the first one to be alone so managed to buy some week old chicks from a chicken breeder that took pity on me and mine now has 8 new little friends.

... and I thought beekeeping was stressful!

I've been offered some chicks. They should hatch any day. I was thinking they would not be that much work or stress?

I've been offered some chicks. They should hatch any day. I was thinking they would not be that much work or stress?

Chickens in some ways are a lot easier than bees. Just remember though, out of all those which hatch at least half of them will be male.......and wait as long as you like a male will never lay eggs.

They will need heat for the first few weeks after hatching and then a secure house and run to live in after that otherwise they will ruin your garden.

Very calming to watch them scratching around.

Frisbee

The 9 chicks are growing well now, fingers crossed Polyanwood your eggs have hatched. It is exciting and fascinating to watch them, just hope they continue to do well.

Back