Cheapest sugar ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes that obviously works too.
I am new at this, first season and so far have only had to feed a small amount to the odd swarm.
Going in to my first winter so best I buy a drill !

cheers
Pete D

I rather enjoy mixing up sugar syrup,no problem really to turn a ton or two of sugar into syrup of an evening.

yes, my research suggests both Tesco and Morrisons are the cheapest at GBP 1.34 per 2 kg bag

I got my local Morrisons to order 180 kgs enough for 10 hives.

NB - I have heard that if you can buy liquid ambrosia wholesale it is not much different to the price of sugar and a whole lot easier.

I got a 5kg bag of tate and lyle cane sugar from Costco in brum a few weeks ago for 4.50 (but you have to have a card)

You could do what all the OAPs in West Bromwich do and go into a cake shop or cafe and have a cup of tea and then stuff your pockets with as many suger sachets as possible.

I beg your pardon!......but with the pension this dumb government give us, is it surprising?:rolleyes:

My way is the cheapest. Don't feed.

Quoting Langstroth: The feeding of bees resembles the way many a child of the rich is reared.

Sugar is an incomplete diet for bees anyway, lacks the natural pollen, trace minerals, and amino acids that they need and honey has.

40 jerry cans = 800 litres thats not a domestic food mixer. One idea for of mixing that qty would be a submersible pump in a 200litre orange juice drum (black ones with the big screw on lid) with outlet directed into the bottom of the drum to recirculate the water/sugar until it disolves. The sugar crystals would pass through the pump. Then use the pump to dispense the syrup.

40 jerry cans = 800 litres thats not a domestic food mixer. One idea for of mixing that qty would be a submersible pump in a 200litre orange juice drum (black ones with the big screw on lid) with outlet directed into the bottom of the drum to recirculate the water/sugar until it disolves. The sugar crystals would pass through the pump. Then use the pump to dispense the syrup.

Or just use a bio diesel unit to mix the sugar syrup.

Back