Changing Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This coming season I would like to change 5 frames of comb from the Nuc I got earlier in the year.. The comb was told to me it is 2 years old... I want to change these out but are currently at the centre of the brood...

What is the best way to change single frames without doing an entire switch?

The new frames I put in the BB to fill it up only half are drawn fully I.e 3 plus 3 which are now removed for the winter as they were just foundation.

1/ You should wait until it gets a lot warmer - bees can't make wax below about 12-14C.
2/ It's a very good idea to feed the bees with syrup when you do this to give them a ready source of food as making wax requires a lot of energy.
3/ Move the frames gradually to the outside over the course of month to give the bees a chance to rear the brood that may already be in those frames.
4/Alternatively consider doing a Bailey comb change to replace all the frames at once.

Thanks Simon... That was what I was thinking but couldn't find any info except Bailey changes... I was thinking for around late March / April time when daily averages if there is such a thing these day hit 14c +

As Simon suggests - wait until it is a lot warmer as I am sure you are going to do. Syrup will help but they will also need a good amount of pollen too.

I would do half a Bailey change - i.e. dummy down the brood box (a bit like you must have done for the Winter anyway as you have removed a few frames of foundation) and then put a second brood box ontop wioth the foundation directly over the old combs. This second box has a dummy board or frame feeder as well and is well insulated over the top. Once the main combs are drawn you can expand the top box and put a QX under it to keep the queen upstairs in the new box. Remove the lower one when all the brood is hatched out.

This method works well for me when I need to swap out part of the old brood.

Meg

agree, cos the bees love the warmth when building wax, in my opinion, so putting foundation on top is much more likely to be drawn out with the heat from the hive rising to the top box, than putting new wax alongside the older wax.

Im in a similar position as I brought 2 nuc's late july last year, both have around 3-4 brood frames. I plan on do a very quick inspection to mid to late feb (weather dependant as wouldnt work at the moment!) and move as many of the old frames to the outer edges of the brood nest with the aim of replacing them as soon as possible when it warms up again.

I would suggest that there is no hurry so on each inspection take a frame from one end and put it in the other. This moves the frames one place each inspection, after three or four inspection you should have them at one end, now remove one of the old frames but this time add a new frame at the other end. Do this for the next five inspections.
The frames you are removing may have food and brood so this is what I do ...... You can add another brood box over a QE with all new frames except for the ones you take from the original bb. Wait until the brood emerges. Any food can be stored away for autumn winter food or extracted as a super but in a brood frame, which is what I do.
Others may not agree but this works for me, it is gentle on the bees, gives you spare drawn brood frames and no loss of brood or food.
The other alternative is to leave the frame at the end of the original bb until there is no more brood in it but that is a bit hit and miss.
E

This coming season I would like to change 5 frames of comb from the Nuc I got earlier in the year.. The comb was told to me it is 2 years old... I want to change these out but are currently at the centre of the brood...

What is the best way to change single frames without doing an entire switch?

The new frames I put in the BB to fill it up only half are drawn fully I.e 3 plus 3 which are now removed for the winter as they were just foundation.

Why replace them now?
Comb should be good for at least 3 full years.
Let them draw out their box fully, before you start giving them any extra to do.

Making wax wants warm weather, lots of food and lots of bees.
I think you have been short of bees, quite apart from anything else.

Sounds like you have 8 frames in the hive at present. I hope the end space is sealed off or filled with insulation.

Thanks all and yes itma the brood is reduced and so is the space they occupy... They are more snug than I am!!

Back