Chalk brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeebeekeeper

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I noticed recently chalk brood for the first time in 1 of my hives.

It isnt in the other 2 so thats positive. The weather over here has been poor for the last few weeks. From reading i should try and allow better circulation and the bees should sort this out for themselves.

Is there much else you would recommend or is this going on in other peoples hives that have not had the issues yet

I noticed recently chalk brood for the first time in 1 of my hives.

It isnt in the other 2 so thats positive. The weather over here has been poor for the last few weeks. From reading i should try and allow better circulation and the bees should sort this out for themselves.

Is there much else you would recommend or is this going on in other peoples hives that have not had the issues yet
Had chalk brood once, got it from a hive I bought so “bought” the infection as well. Be careful not to spread it to your other hives. The chalk brood hive check it last and or disinfect your tools and gloves after you go through that hive. I think I treated mine with (believe it or not) a Banana. Cut in half and placed on top of the Queen excluder.

Had chalk brood once, got it from a hive I bought so “bought” the infection as well. Be careful not to spread it to your other hives. The chalk brood hive check it last and or disinfect your tools and gloves after you go through that hive. I think I treated mine with (believe it or not) a Banana. Cut in half and placed on top of the Queen excluder.

Re - queening is often suggested.... some even suggest a shook swarm onto nice new foundation and a feed of thymolated syrup.

I have tried a banana skin, reduced the number of cells infected... perhaps it is the ethene* gas it gives off?

Chons da

* or is it ethane?????

Had it in my first hive, I just left them to it and after a few weeks it was gone. Only had the 1 back then so no chance of spreading it...

-number one disease over here in Aus. Was this a hive that was a split or weak at all?

Sent 400 colonies to Florida in 1998. They came back with a heavy Chalkbrood infection. Many colonies stinky rotten with the disease. I requeened with queens selected for hygienic trait. In one month I could fond no mummies. To this day, I rarely find a chalk hive.

I had it in 2015-6. Requeened the affected hives.
Never seen it since (cross fingers)

Mostly down to the queen change the queen and same hive same location no issue.

One other problem I found with chalk brood is that the dead bees get thrown out the hive and that attracts slugs who eat them, but then enter the hive for warmth, and free food.

It is a new queen this year and the hive is building from a small nuc into a full sized hive slowly.

Do you just put slices of banana on top of the queen excluder? Any guide as to how many slices or how thick? The hive doesn't have a super so where would i put it?

Thanks

It is a new queen this year and the hive is building from a small nuc into a full sized hive slowly.

Do you just put slices of banana on top of the queen excluder? Any guide as to how many slices or how thick? The hive doesn't have a super so where would i put it?

Thanks
How bad is it? If your colony is growing you may consider just living with it.
I do hope you aren't being serious about adding bananas. It is an old myth.
Some strains of bees seem particularly prone to it. Re-queening is the most effective solution.

Just reqeen and from different stock that am guessing produced the prone queen, if I see it in a hive the queens for the gate post. Obviously some colonies just have a background level but it slows up any development and is a weakness you don’t won’t hanging around

Last edited:

Thanks

Either in a milkshake or straight in the bin - it will have the same effect on your bees' chalkbrood :D

Some use seeing a few mummies which are on the OMF or thrown outside without any signs on the comb as an indication of hygienic behaviour.

Latest posts

Back