Cecropia queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe most of his are macedonian now,but not 100% sure,similar to carnica. I have a contact to get them from there proper homeland,as i'm not so sure the one's from bruce are guaranteed to be pure.

I have read that the Buckfast/Cecropia is very resistant to tracheal mites because it was at the top of Brother adams list of traits he was looking for.

Tony did you try this cross a couple of years back?

yes i did, they were ok but at the time i was regressing my bees to smaller cell and they were a bit stubborn and i re queened them, i did try again with another B/C
queen from Bruce and it struggled to fill a brood box and i made them re queen them self. the new queen filled two brood boxes and i got good honey from them but at a cost off suiting well before inspection:boxing_smiley: if they could box my ears off they would off. i do remember that some one else at the time had b/cecropia and did well with them so you can't rule them out they can be a good bee but not want i am looking for at the moment.

i would like to try a pure strain and work from that

I have read that the Buckfast/Cecropia is very resistant to tracheal mites because it was at the top of Brother adams list of traits he was looking for.

Tony did you try this cross a couple of years back?

You mean may be macedonica. There is a study about it:
MORPHOLOGICAL DIFFERENCES IN PROTHORACIC SPIRACLES
BETWEEN THREE STRAINS OF APIS MELLIFERA (L). EXISTENCE OF A
RESISTANCE MECHANISM AGAINST ACARAPIS WOODI

Wikipedia says that Cecropia is kept only on South Greece. IT tells that it is not good.

Is this a record for thread renewal?....last post in Dec 2008 and now 2 (well 3 now :) ) in 2017.

Latest posts

Back