Cbpv

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is what was briefly mentioned at the Bradford Bee Health Day

http://www.vita-europe.com/blog/chronic-bee-paralysis/

He caged the queen and separated her from the colony. He then moved the brood box 50 metres away and took out the frames, but returned the beeless box to the original stand after scorching the inside to sterilise it. He then shook every last bee from the frames (50 metres away) and the bees that could fly returned to the original brood box site. He was careful not to let the bees mingle on the ground which might have aided further bee-to-bee transmission.

So, the healthy flying bees returned to the original spot and the queen re-introduced. The CBPV bees, incapable of flight, did not return to the colony. He cleared up the dead and dying bees in the vicinity so that further reinfection could be minimised.

Chris does use the forum so he may well be happy to answer any questions anyone may have on the subject

There has been a post about our method on the forum already, but yes as Kev says i will be willing to answer any questions regarding our method of controlling CBPV, one question has been asked already is "what happens to all the nurse bee" the answer is that some will be lost but also a lot do return to the hive with the other healthy bees, i must point out that there will not be thousands of dead or dying bees on the ground after using this method, in fact you will be surprised how few there are, but the ones that are there are the ones with CBPV and thus the ones you want out of the hive, and by placing ALL the combs back into the hive there will be emerging bees coming on line straight away, so numbers of nurse bees soon settle back to normal levels, and i must stress only use this method as a last resort, to save the colony and should only be used on colonies large enough to withstand this sort of upheaval.

Latest posts

Back