Caught short with queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Did a solid inspection today before going away camping for the weekend...

My only brood and a half (outlier) had a couple of charged QCs....i had no kit for AS of any kind so left one QC and caged HM in one of those yellow transport jobs...

It feels OK to leave her until Tuesday when i can get in again and sort her to a NUC method....But my beekeeping emotions and rationality are about as reliable as Donald Trump in a geography quiz. Hence checking with you, the intelligencia...Thoughts?

The real question is what else could you do......fingers crossed for you. Let us know what happens!

Rather stuck with no other option - if the queen cell is only charged then you've got a few days before the virgin emerges and it won't hurt the existing queen to have here caged for a few days ... rock and a hard place.

It's an interesting experiment. Keep us posted. A cast swarm is the clear risk once the Qs emerge, but you are in again well before then. Have a plan and kit for the inevitable AS.

Back