Cathedral bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job, hopefully it was all worth while.

Thank you :) 10 supers, only a handful of frames unusable in my opinion ( and i bagged many ) Should see the cathedral in honey for a while at least ;)

Actually, must find out what they do with it. I am just happy to get as many bee fixes as i can before winter comes lol, I'll agree to 'owt ;)

The image of this operation does make me smile and sounds like a decent crop. If it was me I would be thinking old rucksack and constructing some sort of cradle to carry a super on my back but perhaps not as fun :)

Last edited:
The image of this operation dies make me smile and sounds like a decent crop. If it was me I would be thinking old rucksack and constructing some sort of cradle to carry a super on my back but perhaps not as fun :)

It was quite amusing. We swapped jobs, and watching a volunteer clearing a frame and then spinning around trying to bag it with a cloud of bees around him before passing to me to pass down tickled me a bit lol. Wasn't quite as amusing when it was my turn though ;)

All in all, I was in my element on that roof on such a beautiful day. I think I passed as a proper bee keeper that day, although at one point I took the last super and had to crack the clearer board on one hive. As I lifted one side they roared out at me. I looked around, and nobody was watching, so I gently put it back and went to do another job ;) They had calmed down when I returned. I think I got away with that one lol

At the risk of sounding like a miserable git, dare I say it? Didn't anyone consider this in the first place, before siting the hives?

At the risk of sounding like a miserable git, dare I say it? Didn't anyone consider this in the first place, before siting the hives?

Don't worry about sounding like a miserable git. I have an affinity for miserable gits, for I am one too ;)

It might be a bit of a faff, but with enough hands, is totally doable. Thinking about the lay out of the cathedral, I don't see any other place where they could be kept. There is no part of the grounds that are not open to the public, so really the roof is the only place they could be kept. It may throw up logistical problems for the honey harvest, but is, and has been a very valuable resource for the groups associated with the cathedral. This is the only tricky bit, everything else can be done easily and with no problem at all.

I bet it's a lovely place to work bees, just a pain twice a year moving boxes up and down stairs.

I bet it's a lovely place to work bees, just a pain twice a year moving boxes up and down stairs.

Oh it is! I have visited the cathedral many, many times over the years ( I'm a bit of a nerd for mason marks ) so to have access to parts that the public don't get to see is a thrill for me! The view is amazing, and you can't forget you are stood on top of such a historic building. I love it up there :)

I wasn't knocking the sight, don't get me wrong, I bet it's idyllic.

I know :) We were working right underneath the big, massive clock in the spire. When we finished Dusty asked if I had time to go and get a cup of tea. " I don't know, why, what time is it? " I asked. Sometimes, I'm not the brightest bulb lol

Attachments

• WP_20150822_14_02_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150822_14_02_25_Pro.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back