Careful with that knife, Eugene

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok, so perhaps the Pink Floyd reference might be a step too far for some, but anyhow...

Having had much success uncapping my frames with an ancient electric carving knife last year I decided it might be wise to purchase a backup in case of a mid-extraction failure. Amazon won't sell me one without verifying my age. I can't help wondering if that's because they're worried that I might go out with several miles of extension lead and attempt to stab someone with it.

I can't deny that if I were in the kitchen and found myself in need of an offensive weapon, an electric carving knife wouldn't be high up on my list of options. Even a fork is probably more dangerous.

James

A fork! Reminds me of a quote from the film Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

Quite curtiusy of IMDB.
  • [the Sheriff has said he'll cut out Robin Hood's heart with a spoon]
    Guy of Gisborne : Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham : Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more.

Stupid law that makes no sense.If someone wants a knife to injure then kitchen drawer or pop to tescos.If i order a blade from a company I've not used before then i have to send photo id.Laws always seem to affect the law abiding and make no difference to the scrotes they were put in place for.

A fork! Reminds me of a quote from the film Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

Quite curtiusy of IMDB.
  • [the Sheriff has said he'll cut out Robin Hood's heart with a spoon]
    Guy of Gisborne : Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham : Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more.
Absolutely excellent performance from the late Alan Rickman....completely stole the show from an otherwise cringe making effort from everybody else

I would not use a knife on anyone. A cut down cricket bat is far more dangerous if you use the narrow edge rather than the flat blade.. One hit on the knee and it's no walking, excrutiating pain and a new knee required. And if you miss the knee and hit the shins.. broken leg..

I have a worn down - not cut down - that suggest premeditation - cricket bat for burglars/intruders.

My wife and I get two packs each of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol in Lidl (paid for separately). On the way home repeat in Tesco. Or ASDA .Or B&M. Totally nuts

I never thought of using an electric knife for uncapping 🤦
I have an ancient one too - only ever gets used for freshly baked bread (once a flood).
I'll give it a go next time.

Please be careful how you talk about methods of suicide. There may be someone so vulnerable looking in on this forum that having read what has been written above, takes their life.
Suicide and attempted suicide leaves families devastated.
Please, if you are feeling overwhelmed ask for help.

Having been "on the receiving end" both personally and professionally I can agree that it devastates those left behind.
The majority of attempted suicide individuals end up glad they did not die - worth bearing in mind for anyone thinking about it.
Help is available from a variety of sources.

Samson used a jaw bone,Schwarzenegger used a can pull,l wasn’t there but l think the first P let go of a sword,neats foot oil bees hate nfo.coat the villain with nfo and watch him run.l coated leather with nfo,on bellows.l had to replace it.l do love the run up to Wiveliscombe through the bluebell woods.

A friend of ours got into a serious mess and left us abruptly. Every room in the house has his touch in it. So every day I find I spend time contemplating the waste and pain. Not a topic to take lightly and yes there is help out there but for some it is not enough sadly.

Back to topic. I have only ever used a cold knife for uncapping and it is cheap and effective. For the awkward nooks an uncapping fork works.

PH

A friend of ours got into a serious mess and left us abruptly. Every room in the house has his touch in it. So every day I find I spend time contemplating the waste and pain. Not a topic to take lightly and yes there is help out there but for some it is not enough sadly.

Back to topic. I have only ever used a cold knife for uncapping and it is cheap and effective. For the awkward nooks an uncapping fork works.

PH
The loss is great,and why is nearly always the question.Talking should be the way but it needs huge patience and care,on topic,l use a cold knife but after 1k frames my wrist started to give out,l went to a fork,dimwit that l am l’d never worked out that you raked with it.when you filter it clogs like mad.l could use heat but l need the wax.

Latest posts

Back