Captured first swarm!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteS

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I've been keeping bees for just over a year and I was called out last Sunday evening (10th) to collect a swarm! Now I've never done this before so said I'd be there in half an hour which gave me time to have a quick look in my dummies guide before I set off.

A couple of hours later they were in my hive on fresh foundation and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. I gave them some syrup and left them to it.

Last Friday I had a quick look to see how things were going, lots of drawn comb and pollen being brought in. No sign of any eggs though. I gave more syrup and again left them alone. Over the weekend there seemed to be plenty of activity so I think they may be happy to stay.

I've been looking at various books and cannot seem to find the answer to my question... How long before the queen starts to lay? I know she needs the space which she now has but I would like a rough estimate on how long it will be.

Thanks
Pete

Surely that will depend on whether you have a prime or cast, Pete as to wether she is mated and therefore able to lay.

Good point!

That now raises my next question? How do I tell if it's a prime or cast swarm?

I have noticed that in my first year the learning curve has been more like a vertical line LOL!

Pete

How big was it for a start?

At least the size of a football

At least the size of a football

I have collected two swarms this season the size of a ruby ball and thought they were casts, both started laying within three days so although the size of a swarm is a good indication but it's no guarantee

I have collected two swarms this season the size of a ruby ball and thought they were casts, both started laying within three days so although the size of a swarm is a good indication but it's no guarantee

Agreed, but compared to a few handfuls, it is a start.

Quick update... Checked the swarm hive yesterday and there are now eggs and larvae visible!! So being chuffed at collecting my first swarm has just changed to euphoria at them deciding to stay and make there home alongside my other hive in the garden.

:party:

Thanks for the advice all
Pete

Another couple of steps up your vertical learning curve Pete.

Prime swarm - approx football size and a queen (usually) laying within a week.

Cast - approx grapefruit (or smaller) size and up to 4 weeks before she mates and comes into lay (usually 2 - 3 weeks.)

Well done it is nice when a plan comes togethernot worthy

That now raises my next question? How do I tell if it's a prime or cast swarm?

Simple one, that.

If she restarts laying within about 4 days, a prime; If ten days or longer, she was a virgin so a cast.. Usually larvae within a week is a good indication of a prime.

You seem to have a cast. I would expect there to be some capped brood if it were a prime.

RAB

"Well done it is nice when a plan comes together"

Planning eh? Well to be honest it was more luck than planning, but it's the end result that matters and it's looking positive at the moment, just hope it continues that way.

Pete

Latest posts

Back