Can't find Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
More than originally planned
Having inspected my hives last Saturday I got a phone call from the bee inspector on Tuesday morning saying he wanted to check the hives the next day (yesterday). He gave them a thorough search revealing half a dozen queen cells (which he tore down) and told me I needed to organise an AS as soon as possible. I went through the hive this afternoon and just couldn't find the queen. The bees were very forgiving but after going through three times I figured we'd all had enough. Dare I disturb them again this weekend. I am a new bee with two hives and am feeling very daunted.

Thank you Poly Hive. Much appreciated

Did the Inspector happen across this queen per chance?

PH

Yes we saw the queen yesterday. It was a sort of joint decision to take out queen cells but I didn't realise he would take them all. I though there should be one or two left before doing the AS. I suppose they will jus.t make more as there are eggs.

Ok you had a great opportunity to have her to hand yesterday, the lesson is to have the kit ready. matchbox, queen cage, intro cage anything along those lines and the situation today was avoided.

Good luck on Saturday and if you know anyone locally to give you a hand grab their assistance.

PH

Don't quite see the point of taking down all the QC's and letting them, hopefully make new ones.

Have I missed something?

buys a bit more time, to organise the AS?

Panic over. Took your advice and asked an association member if they could help. Found the queen today, did an AS. Gosh this beekeeping lark can go from days of deep anxiety (tears) to real optimism. Thanks everyone.

Buy 'how to keep bees without finding the queen' Then you can do an AS if you find the Queen, but use an alternative technique when you cant.

Back