Cannington / Bridgwater

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob C

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all

Finally looking to take the plunge into bee keeping. If it's not too much to ask would someone near by let me come and see some bees for some hands on experience. I don't mind what it is, perhaps help in other ways to learn the trade not just with the bees.

Thanks in advance.

PS I have just joined SBKA and hope to get on the course this Winter.

Hi Rob. I am in Stoke St Gregory just down the road to you. I am very willing to let you go through a hive with me as a taster session. Do you have a suit, gloves and some wellies? If so and you are interested then pm me and we will make arrangements.
Enrico (Eric)

Amazing thank you Eric. I don't just yet but I will get on to it and be in touch!

I will get it ordered tonight but likely won't come until Wednesday or Thursday I imagine but I will get right onto it! Would be good to get some hands on before it ends.

A quick honey extracting lesson and then you can leave him to 10hrs of extraction😂……when your done can you loan him out😉

A big thank you to Eric (enrico) for having me over yesterday and see his bees. Very keen to get some next spring.

Eric is a true gent and helped with many of the uncertainties I had after digging into the Haynes Bee Manual.

A big thank you to Eric (enrico) for having me over yesterday and see his bees. Very keen to get some next spring.

Eric is a true gent and helped with many of the uncertainties I had after digging into the Haynes Bee Manual.
Thanks Rob, You were a pleasure to talk to and I hope I didn't bore the pants off you. I have a feeling you will get hooked and go far!

A bit belated, but Welcome Rob. I am also in the local area, I suspect enrico has you covered but I am happy to help. I am in QBKA which covers the Bridgwater/Cannington area so if you decide you wish to join the local association feel free to let me know and I can pass you details of the appropriate person. They run a beginners course over the winter (classroom) then do what they call 'rent a hive' the following spring where you look after a nuc at the association apiary, with other newbies and mentors, then take it on home at the end of the season (if you are still into beekeeping).

A bit belated, but Welcome Rob. I am also in the local area, I suspect enrico has you covered but I am happy to help. I am in QBKA which covers the Bridgwater/Cannington area so if you decide you wish to join the local association feel free to let me know and I can pass you details of the appropriate person. They run a beginners course over the winter (classroom) then do what they call 'rent a hive' the following spring where you look after a nuc at the association apiary, with other newbies and mentors, then take it on home at the end of the season (if you are still into beekeeping).
That's a great idea Niv and I reckon he might jump at that chance. Thanks, he is a nice guy.

Hi Niv, thank you for the response. I have joined SBKA but am yet to hear back from them. I would be very grateful if you could pass my details on or give me a contact. Eric has been a true gent but I would not say no to meeting other people in the area!

Eager to get on the course, do you know when it will start?

Hi Niv, thank you for the response. I have joined SBKA but am yet to hear back from them. I would be very grateful if you could pass my details on or give me a contact. Eric has been a true gent but I would not say no to meeting other people in the area!

Eager to get on the course, do you know when it will start?
I don’t think you will hear anything about having joined SBKA. Did you join as an County associate member, or a division? At the moment there are no new details about beginners courses, but looking at the dates, Quantocks will start in January. It might be worth going on Quantock Beginners Course and asking for more details. That’s last years link, but there are contact details on it.

I don’t think you will hear anything about having joined SBKA. Did you join as an County associate member, or a division? At the moment there are no new details about beginners courses, but looking at the dates, Quantocks will start in January. It might be worth going on Quantock Beginners Course and asking for more details. That’s last years link, but there are contact details on it.
I clicked join SBKA and paid through there, think perhaps I joined the wrong bit and joined as a County member not with the division. It said to register online but to wait a day or two for them to process. I paid maybe 1 -2 months ago. I emailed the email on the Quantock division page which is [email protected], I also emailed this email directly asking about courses and dates but had no response. I called the phone number with no luck. Not sure what else I can do with no dates on this years courses. I have just seen the membership download page and membership is £40 so I think I made a mistake paying the £8 to SBKA?

Latest posts

Back