Candle making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Not sure if there is a section for this but I did look first... Really quick question, can someone recommend a good reliable mould(s) for tapered candles which is not a complete pain in the backside to remove the candle from. I had some crappy plastic ones which the wax still sticks to even with silicone oil!! Grrr. Get what you pay for I guess. I just want to make some long tapered table candles... Maybe at some point a thicker 5" candle.

Thanks in advance on this!

Chuck em in the freezer, for 20-30 mins then try to remove them the wax is not sticky when chilled.

The silicone rubber block moulds are far easier to remove candles from than the rigid plastic, not cheap though. Those I know who are regular candle makers claim that, for an elegant candle on the table you can't beat dipping. Having tried it it's fairly easy to get decent, if not prize winning results. The only kit you need (in addition to what you'd use for moulding) is a long tin. The usual suppliers will sell you one at silly prices but a spaghetti tin from anywhere that sells cheap kitchen stuff works just as well.

I make lots of candles and the only time I ever have a problem removing them from the mould is when I overfill the second pour and it runs down the gap between the first pour and the mould. (I hope that makes sense to you)

That said I have never used a plastic mould of any description, just metal.

Ziggy

I make lots of candles and the only time I ever have a problem removing them from the mould is when I overfill the second pour and it runs down the gap between the first pour and the mould. (I hope that makes sense to you)

That said I have never used a plastic mould of any description, just metal.

Ziggy

I'm thinking about making some candles this year - using the peel-off variety of mould:)

cand.jpg

Pity it doesn't leave the Guinness logo on the side!!! The right way up ofcourse!

Has anybody made their own moulds using silicon to take an impression of an object? If so, what is the best to use?

Or where's the best place to get good moulds apart from Thornes?

Has anybody made their own moulds using silicon to take an impression of an object? If so, what is the best to use?
I did do a quick search for the silicone materials when I was thinking of custom association candles. Ebay looked about the cheapest source of silicone and there are youtube videos of making moulds. Not for candles but same idea, it doesn't look too complicated. Depending on size, materials in small quantities are likely to be 5-10 pounds a mould so you can see why the T'ornes ones are not cheap.

Another idea I still haven't got round to is 3d printing, In theory you might print candles but that would take a lot of experimentation with nozzles and materials. Making a plastic form to cast in silicone would be simpler.

I have printed out an object on my 3d printer and then made a mould using silicone rubber purchased from ebay. Once mould is set after a couple of hours, pour in wax. Result excellent quality candles.
beeswax%20candles%20mr%20and%20mrs%20owl.jpg

hmmm, candle dipping sounds interesting. What do people use to dip into that is of suitable length for tapered candles? Also, how long does it take to dip and make one candle? It looks time consuming!

hmmm, candle dipping sounds interesting. What do people use to dip into that is of suitable length for tapered candles? Also, how long does it take to dip and make one candle? It looks time consuming!

I suppose an asparagus steamer would do the trick (unless you wanted mahoosively long candles?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Th0rnes dipping tubes start at a tenner. Kitchen shops sell long tins intended to hold spaghetti or other pasta for a fiver or so, some single malts come in long tins. Car boots might be a cheap source.

Keep the wax melted with the tin in a pan of hot water. The wax should be just hot enough to be liquid, each dip into the tin adds a layer, don't leave it in the wax longer or you melt more off the candle than you add. Pull it out and it's solid in a minute or two in a cool room. First dip or two, pull the wick straight while it cools to avoid bent candles.

I think most people dip in a batch of pairs, so start with loops of wick and hang each pair on a peg to cool while you dip the next one. Get the wax temperature right and 6 or so pairs gives long enough to dip again with the first pair when you hang up the last. Top up the tin with more wax to keep the level high and trim the drip at the bottom every few rounds. Keep dipping until the candle is the size you want at the base, they taper naturally. Around 15-20 dips is usually enough. Time consuming? You can dip a dozen candles in a shorter time than using a mould twice.

Last edited:
Th0rnes dipping tubes start at a tenner. Kitchen shops sell long tins intended to hold spaghetti or other pasta for a fiver or so, some single malts come in long tins. Car boots might be a cheap source.

Keep the wax melted with the tin in a pan of hot water. The wax should be just hot enough to be liquid, each dip into the tin adds a layer, don't leave it in the wax longer or you melt more off the candle than you add. Pull it out and it's solid in a minute or two in a cool room. First dip or two, pull the wick straight while it cools to avoid bent candles.

I think most people dip in a batch of pairs, so start with loops of wick and hang each pair on a peg to cool while you dip the next one. Get the wax temperature right and 6 or so pairs gives long enough to dip again with the first pair when you hang up the last. Top up the tin with more wax to keep the level high and trim the drip at the bottom every few rounds. Keep dipping until the candle is the size you want at the base, they taper naturally. Around 15-20 dips is usually enough. Time consuming? You can dip a dozen candles in a shorter time than using a mould twice.

Thankyou Alan, thats a really helpful overview! +1 for you :)

Latest posts

Back