Can you with this image, please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric2383

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I came across the attached scenario today as I was leaving the house, and I wonder if someone could interpret the picture for me. There are two bees involved and the larger one has had a leg severed (the one furthest away). The smaller bee, on the left, appears to have killed the larger one.
When I returned some 20 minutes later, there was no trace of any of this 'crime'. Completely disappeared.
I would be interested to know if this is a common occurrence among bees.
Thanks in advance.
Eric

They look like bumble bees to me and I'm no expert on them, not to say I consider myself an expert on any other bee but may have slightly more knowledge as regards the honeybee, although some people might disagree:rolleyes:

At the end of the year a bumble bee nest kills it's Queen to enable them to raise new queens. Old queen needs to be killed as she prevents the new queens being laid.

As the 'dead' bee looks very big compared to the other, I would say this was a queen and worker in mortal combat.

I'm suprised that early august is the end of the bumble bee year but as others have said, I'm no bumblebee expert!

Thanks for that. A mating would explain the disappearance of the participants, although the larger bee did seem to have lost a leg and was motionless.
I plant clover whenever I get the opportunity, as I realize what dire straits the bee population is in. We also have plenty of flowers in the garden which attracts lots of them.
Sadly, I am allergic to honey.
Eric

I'm suprised that early august is the end of the bumble bee year but as others have said, I'm no bumblebee expert!

Last year we had bumble bees in a bird box, it was empty by the middle of August. We thought it was early, but maybe not.

i always thought that a bumble bee queen starts laying queens and drones for the next years bees.the workers try to stop her and they end up fighting.the cohesion of the nest collapses,the new queens and drones leave,mate and the cycle continues.the old nest gradually dies out.
wasps i belive have the same cycle.which is why wasps get a bit kamikaze at this time of year.
or am i wrong...?

Back