Can I expect honey in first year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaknight

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

I've ordered a 5 frame nucleus due for delivery this summer.
Can I expect any honey in my first year?
I realise that this is dependent on weather and nectar flow.

Thanks

Hi Seaknight

My 1st bees came in June last year. They did start to build some honey stores but not a huge amount. They have a lot to do building brood and drawing frames
if you want them to be strong for winter.
So though you may get some - don't expect much!

Can I expect any honey in my first year?
I realise that this is dependent on weather and nectar flow.

Thanks

You answered this yourself :winner1st:

Feed to encourage build up, hopefully weather will help ie warm.
If you have limes and bramble near - and weather etc is right then maybe.

Just remember - if you remove the crop then make sure you feed and get ready for winter.

:hairpull: talking about winter already

It's dependent on so many factors you really can't tell ...

Bees vary in productivity, the colony build up is dependent upon the laying quality of the queen, weather, forage available when they can fly, disease, varroa, YOU messing about with them ... all factors that can affect the honey harvest.

Mine were a smallish swarm in June last year and by the end of the season were a big colony with nearly 12 14x12 frames of stores ready to go into winter. I chose to leave them with all of the stores on the basis that, if there's any left in Spring, I can take any surplus out once they are able to forage with confidence again. Bees eat honey and I'm not in the camp of taking it all and feeding them sugar instead.

If I was you I would forget about a honey harvest for the first year .. if you get a frame or two that they can spare then that's a bonus - better to concentrate on learning about them and getting them in the best possible shape for overwintering ...

Don't *expect* any.

If they swarm and get away, you can confidently expect none.

If you do get some, anticipate it not being enough to bother with proper extraction, so think in terms of crush and strain through a nylon filter bag.
Or use unwired foundation and take some cut comb.

Invest in them by feeding syrup while they are drawing brood comb, keep them nice and warm, prevent them swarming and you might get a harvest, if not a crop!

Yes weather is a major factor.
But also the time you get your bees is absolutely critical to whether you'll get any honey. In my area, get your nuc first week in June for 10 to 20lb honey. Any later and nothing. Last year one new beekeeper took a 3lb package off me late April that produced 60lbs, and then he took a 5 frame nuc at end of May that produced about 20lb.

There's an old saying "A swarm in May is worth a load of hay, a swarm in June a silver spoon, a swarm in July isn't worth a fly".

First nuc I had was in late April, they swarmed on the summer solstice, we still had 55lbs of honey to extract in early September and beautiful honey it was, too.

Best you can do is guess.

This is a show off thread... I can tell. ;)

My expectation, from my May 2013 nucleus was no honey. I was pleasantly surprised with 25kg. I left them loads as I wanted them in 2014 :)

when your bees arrive honey will be the least of your concerns .
i got mine august last year and honey isn't high on my list of worries.
i still have 2 hives atm so thats a good point but this year is going to be a steep learning curve .
the fact i need to draw out comb will limit any potential of a honey crop this year and you will have the same problem. not having a stock of drawn comb .
you will also have to build them up to full strength.

if i can make it through and get the comb drawn out and hopefully increase to 4 or maybe 5 hives i will think this year has been a success.
any honey crop will just be a bonus for me.

good luck i hope everything goes well for you .

Latest posts

Back