Can assembled foundation frames be stored?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I am completely new to Beekeeping and am about to get/start my first colony. Am therefore in the process of assembling my first hive. Is it OK to make the frames up with foundation now (March) even though the bees may not arrive until late May? THanks in advance and apologies for the basic question. Mike

Hello, and welcome.
I did exactly the same last year with no problem at all, i still have some of the frames stored in my garage in sealed bags and they will be used this year. if they have dried out then you can lightly run a hairdryer over them.

Yes you will have no problem people often assemble frames over the winter months for the coming season, better to do it now than in a mad panic later.

sometimes it hepls to give them a little spray with weak syrup when you put them in, just encourages the bees to draw it out.

Buzz

My answer is 'yes, but.....'

.....One hive, 5 frames to fit foundation (and not all at once as only maximum of two actually needed initially), not a long job, even for a beginner. Foundation is always better stored in a sealed bag. This is, of course, assuming your colony will be a nucleus.

Spend the time making a divider so the colony can be kept warm, as it expands initially. Far more important in my opinion.

If a good balanced nuc, you may need ten or more super frames after the first two weeks or more, depending on all sorts of factors.

There should be plenty of time with just the one hive. But you do need to be organised and ready.

Regards, RAB

This is the way to do it...
Part make your frames, put the side bars on to the top frame and pin, then put one of the bottom rails on, it MUST be the one immediately opposite the thick part of the top bar, and pin (Always pin your bottom bars straight in from the bottom and not from the side so that if you need to remove them to replace the wax then they will push out and you can pull the pin out afterwards without breaking the side bar. Store them like this keeping the extra bottom bar and the bit you removed from the top bar safe. When the time comes to use the frame all you have to do is slide the wax into place, pin the removable bit from the top bar and put on the last bottom bar, it takes seconds rather than minutes! Wax should never be left open if you can avoid it, it loses its freshness and its smell which are both good, sometimes bees won't use stale wax unless they really have to.
The other tip is to buy yourself a stapler that also uses small pins as well as staples, this save hours of banging in gimp pins and getting Gimp pin thumb!!!!
Trus me, this will save you so much time, and still gives you fresh frames. If you don't understand what I have been trying to say them let me know and I will try and upload some photos
Enrico
:reddevil:

Latest posts

Back