Call me what you will!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meetballuk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 and 2 nucs
Had packed up my swarm kit as thought the season was over for manchester.
but last night at 7 got a call:
''my neibour keeps bees but hes on holiday are you intrested in a swarm''
humm is this stealing id know id be pissed off but i would also not want my bees to die or get killed by the concil for only 55 pounds!:eek

anyway said yes colected them realy good swarm size, just as was packing them into the van. the BK son came home to water plants or feed fish and saw me suited up. we chatted he called his dad who i spoke too.

ive taken them home and he will come home tonight or monday check his hives, if there his i will give them back.
think the rules in this case are a little hasey but i think its right thing to do

as the title says call me what you will idiot plonker etc

Don't see what else you could have done. As far as you knew he could have been away for another week- unlikely he would have got them, likely they could have failed to find a home and died.

I think you're being quite generous- a) due to the above, and b) did the neighbour actually see the swarm emerge, or are you just assuming they're his?

I think it is a very decent thing you are doing both for the bees and the keeper well done

Personally, I think you've done the right thing. It's certainly the sort of thing I would do, and would hope someone would do for me. bee-smillie

Assuming,
nieghbours very pro bee as they were horifide when the concil offered to come and kill them. even bought me a pint for removing them.

just got call from him he came home last night checked hives all full, so the bees are mine even gave some advice too, need to go in brood box as they filled 6 frame nuec to brim.

Spend 3 days in a loft trying to get a colony of bees out in the very far corner out of reach, got stung, crawled about, hit my head a couple of times and just couldn't get at them, the had brood and had to go. Sorry to say that I had to go back with a hoover, some survived and are in a nuc box, but they wouldn't last (I'm a beekeeper not a killer). Next day a call from the same people they had Another Swarm in their garden which we got okay. The reason for the post: at this time of year with such good weather now... WE SHOULD NOT BE COMING OUT FOR SWARMS THAT BEEKEEPERS SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF. LOOK INTO YOUR HIVES AND SORT IT!
ps Well done for looking after someone elses bees, and, giving them back.
regards
steven

I see they weren't his, but how can he tell? Were there empty QC's? By looking in a hive who's to judge how many bees are around after a swarm.
Cheers
Steven

presume he know his bees says hives are full and no queen cells he had taken special care to inspect on monday.
sorry to hear bout your loft expedition i lost one swarm 2 weeks ago she had started laying eggs and i just marked her (with the help of a senoir BK) but just swarmed away and i didnt get too them :,,(

I see they weren't his, but how can he tell? Were there empty QC's? By looking in a hive who's to judge how many bees are around after a swarm.
Cheers
Steven

No evidence of QC's BIAS, Presence of original marked queen in each hive ?

Nice to see a good deed being done and rewarded - well done not worthy

The reason for the post: at this time of year with such good weather now... WE SHOULD NOT BE COMING OUT FOR SWARMS THAT BEEKEEPERS SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF. LOOK INTO YOUR HIVES AND SORT IT!

regards
steven

As usual, it's an unusual year. I think recent threads regarding taking the supers off to treat hold the clue. Basically, look at the bees, not the calendar.

Latest posts

Back