Button fly jeans...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iang

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
.....don't wear them with just a smock type jacket/veil!!
The pleasure of moving a super with a bit of weight evaporated as I felt a strange crawling feeling (was going to say tickling but thought better of it) inside my boxers! Tried some rapid squashing between fingers but didn't succeed so a (very)quick dash away from hives and into some bushes to 'disrobe' followed and the offending bee flicked out of harms way and on to the ground. I did notice she was damaged and stingless by that point, either by my fumbled squashing or deploying her sting earlier. Was just making myself decent again when up she flies, lands on me again and promptly starts to work her way under the fold of material and in the same way! Squished for sure then though.
Was en route elsewhere and dressed accordingly..... and was only a quick peek..... and my full suit with damaged veil wasn't available BUT still stupid and NO excuses I know!
I did get (a little) of what I deserved when closing up and getting a sting through the jeans on my inner thigh.
The clear nail varnish will be out tonight to finish the veil repair to the full bee suit!!;)

:nature-smiley-016: :eek: i'm sorry but your poast has had me laughing out loud :smilielol5: not funny if you had been stung :laughing-smiley-014 but i bet you looked like something out of a carry on film :smilielol5:

I can sympaphise although different I made a small mistake yesterday. Between hives I walked back to my car for a drink and a short rest. Although I was wearing my full suit I undid the hood / veil whilst I had a rest. I then resumed inspection of the next hive and part of the way through felt the un-mistakable feeling of a bee crawling onto my neck and making it's way across my cheek and up past my nose and over my, now closed, eyelid onto my forehead.
With great strength I managed to control myself whilst walking gently away from the hives and back to the car. The bee hopped onto the inside of the veil and then I was able to capture it in my hand whilst removing the the hood and getting the bee out of the suit!

Although I was very pleased the bee did not sting me and I managed to control my panic, I sure noticed how fast my heart was beating afterwards!!!
:banghead:

I was rushing to remove supers between showers last year. In my haste I didn't zip up the veil properly. Unlike YorkshireBees, I wasn't so lucky!

Been there...Done that... wearing button front overalls and a smock.

Wasn't as lucky as you.

Didn't get any swelling - just the pain!

There were 13 bees in the overalls :eek:

At least I walked quietly into the barn to disrobe. Not letting on. Couldn't really - mother-in-law and her indoors were watching :rolleyes:

I think you might need to go on another course.....only Queen bees can be mated, not the workers O..o

Something similar happened to me during my last inspection, the girls were a bit tetchy and were bumping my legs, due to lack of food and rather cloudy conditions removed a super and just finished inspecting the BB and looked down, my jeans were covered in bee's and to my horror my zip on my jeans was down, I panicked and started brushing the bee's of my legs, this made things worse I must of looked like a right nutter flapping about the bee's went off it and never left me alone, hive tools went flying, got home eventually took my jeans off only to find 2 dead bee's fall out, luck escape, I did get a few stings else where, I have now taken to wear a pair of white chemical protection overalls and my smock now, I feel alot more comfortable

Having seen my wife suffer with three bees getting past a tiny gap in her veil zips- where they meet together- ive started placing a small strip if duck tape over the point where the zips meet.
I have learnt the hard way this season
Prevention is better than cure
This thread reinforces to me the wisdom of full suits, at least for beginners like me.

Latest posts

Back