Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
Yesterday a queen European Hornet was spotted by Mrs. Poot, happily burrowing into the soft compost in a large tub on our patio.
It seems she had decided to make her initial nest in the tub. I could just see the end of her abdomen as she burrowed down in the soft soil.
Tickling with a small flower stem didn’t dissuade her.
So a quick soaking in water made her back out. She then spent a good ten minutes making herself presentable again and drying her wings. I assumed she would then fly off, but wrong! She immediately started to dig again in a different spot.
I had my trusty micro spade to hand and .......placed it gently in front of her and she dutifully climbed on.
We went for a walk to the end of the garden and I placed her on the river bank so she could dig to her heart‘s content.
I just hope I don’t come across too many of her offspring later in the Summer. I don’t like wasps, but I do like hornets.

More likely she was hunting in your tub rather than looking to nest. Crabro prefers nesting in trees especially old woodpecker burrows. Occasionally she'll nest in an out building.

More likely she was hunting in your tub rather than looking to nest. Crabro prefers nesting in trees especially old woodpecker burrows. Occasionally she'll nest in an out building.
What would she be hunting for in a tub of compost? They will nest in the ground and I thought she was looking to build her starter nest as the compost was soft and easy to burrow in.

I’ve got one of those in the drive. I’d love hornets in there
You would not be as keen on a hot Sunday morning, sweat pouring down your face, glasses fallen into your hood, trying to collect a spare crown board and not having a clue they were there!!
It is quite a fright Dani!!!

Back