Buoyant roadside honey sales since lockdown

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago, when I was asked to stock my local health food shop (she likes to offer a selection. she put my 12oz hex jars @ £5.00 a piece next to another local bee farmer's produce in 1lb squat 'ministry' jars which he was selling for £4.00 each.
Sales of mine consistently outstripped his
I have had a similar experience. Packaging/presentation is key.

I have had a similar experience. Packaging/presentation is key.
Yes, I don't think it's just the shape or size of the jar that factors into sales, but perhaps more importantly the quality of the labels and presentation.
Some honey jars have the same old printed labels available from Thornes et. al. whereas others look that little bit different, with more unique or up to date presentation.
I find it quite interesting to see jars of honey from different beekeepers side-by-side in the same shop, and how they compare to one another.

Where do people get their jars from? I get mine from C Wynne Jones. 12oz hex jars are £33.11 inc vat for 84 including lids. How does this compare?

£25 per 72 1 lb round from local T's agent, therefore no carriage charge.

I bought my last lot of jars off eBay. They are 13oz if filled to the top but they are good quality with free good fitting lids and free delivery. None of the bigger firms I have used in the past were no match for price!
E

I bought my last lot of jars off eBay. They are 13oz if filled to the top but they are good quality with free good fitting lids and free delivery. None of the bigger firms I have used in the past were no match for price!
E
Yes, I don't think it's just the shape or size of the jar that factors into sales, but perhaps more importantly the quality of the labels and presentation.
Some honey jars have the same old printed labels available from Thornes et. al. whereas others look that little bit different, with more unique or up to date presentation.
I find it quite interesting to see jars of honey from different beekeepers side-by-side in the same shop, and how they compare to one another.
I think the label is very important. A retired marketing executive and neighbour said "is that you" after reading my label. I only sell "raw" honey and it is local, my customers want to know that my hives are in my garden, as most of my sales this year have been to customers with hay fever. So, it is a nische market not honey for all, but I do not make any claims. I decided to only do 1lb jars this year as I do want to sell it quickly and had not anticipated the covid hoarding mentality to extend to honey. I don't really get much chance to put my sign out this year and have back orders to fulfil, so I hope to get the recent honey off when the hot weather and heather is over.

E
What was the company called Eric pls.
Do they sell hex 340g.
Also is the glass thick?? I've bought jars from two different suppliers this season one was a little bit cheaper, but the ones from c whynes Jones which were more money only by pence were better quality and stronger... Not always good buying cheaper imo.
I've done very well with my labels thanks to someone on here.. I know you've seen these but just to refresh :sleep:. Spring honey left is honey from our highest apiarys. right soft set made from osr/apple orchard mixed with the honey on the left.
Summer honey photo ( to be continued)

IMG_20200604_184840.jpg

Last edited:
Honey?..............can’t see the Honey, seems to be hiding behind the label..............
True the labels look big on the jars, but the proof is in the pudding!! And at least you get a good impression where the honey comes from.
No justification needed... My sales are 60% more at one of our outlets compared to hilltop honey and a bee farmer who is selling his in 1 lb round jars. :eek::party-smiley-050:

What was the company called Eric pls.
Do they sell hex 340g.
Also is the glass thick?? I've bought jars from two different suppliers this season one was a little bit cheaper, but the ones from c whynes Jones which were more money only by pence were better quality and stronger... Not always good buying cheaper imo.
I've done very well with my labels thanks to someone on here.. I know you've seen these but just to refresh :sleep:. Spring honey left is honey from our highest apiarys. right soft set made from osr/apple orchard mixed with the honey on the left.
Summer honey photo ( to be continued)

View attachment 21550
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hexagona...lade-Chutney-Candles-Pack-of-48-/183505567325If the link works that was it! Nice thick heavy jars but as I say they take 13oz. I have labelled them as 370gms

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hexagona...lade-Chutney-Candles-Pack-of-48-/183505567325If the link works that was it! Nice thick heavy jars but as I say they take 13oz. I have labelled them as 370gms
That's 60p a jar. C Wynne Jones are 40p a jar if you put an order in for over £200. I get a group together if I'm struggling to get to £200 or collect. I don't know how much p&p is for less than £200 - thier website doesn't say. (ps I don't have any links to C Wynne Jones, it's just I've not been able to beat them on price over the years - I have tried 😀)

If you are happy to pick them up , you can get 12oz hex for 40p a jar from a supplier in Bridgwater. No min order i believe - but i buy by the box anyway. The jars from him are compak jars - not had a problem with them.
Niv, can you send me the details on a pm. Cheers
Eric

That's 60p a jar. C Wynne Jones are 40p a jar if you put an order in for over £200. I get a group together if I'm struggling to get to £200 or collect. I don't know how much p&p is for less than £200 - thier website doesn't say. (ps I don't have any links to C Wynne Jones, it's just I've not been able to beat them on price over the years - I have tried 😀)
Well by the time I had added the lids and postage they were more than the eBay lot! Ahhh! Just checked what I paid! £20.18 for 48. Blimey their prices have gone up!!!!! Sorry

Last edited:
Our Association buys jars in bulk for members
Aprox £23 per 70 jars and lids 1lb jars.

I've been using Freeman & Harding - even the smaller packs are quite good value, with a wide selection of lid colour/patterns and a fairly small minimum order for free delivery. Always have come pretty quickly. Prices shown on the website are without the BBKA discount - create an account and drop them an email to get 5%(?) off all prices.

280ml hexagonal jar supplied with 63mm gold metal lid

I'm selling mine in round jars for £5/half pound jar. Not taken much off yet as still learning and I only have one hive but first 25 jars went in 24 hours and I have a waiting list for the next lot.
In reply to above post about not labelling if selling locally, my understanding is that it's breaking the law if you don't label (someone here got into trouble with the council for doing just that). I have a local guy who does really nice labels very inexpensively and it makes the jar look very professional!

I'm selling mine in round jars for £5/half pound jar. Not taken much off yet as still learning and I only have one hive but first 25 jars went in 24 hours and I have a waiting list for the next lot.
In reply to above post about not labelling if selling locally, my understanding is that it's breaking the law if you don't label (someone here got into trouble with the council for doing just that). I have a local guy who does really nice labels very inexpensively and it makes the jar look very professional!
No label needed if you’re selling at the door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back