Bumble Bees and the Law

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellifera397

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everyone,

I've had a load of bumblebee calls as you would expect at this time of year. Many of these home owners have had quotes on bumblebee extermination and I was wondering what is the legal position on these bees?

Thanks in advance,

M

I dont think there is a law regarding bees, with concerning killing them.

Whilst there is no specific law regarding the protection of bees , I'm sure they are arguably covered by some of the many and intricate rules of the wild life protective legislation ?
Honey bees don't enjoy any special protection either!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:iagree::iagree:
Whilst there is no specific law regarding the protection of bees , I'm sure they are arguably covered by some of the many and intricate rules of the wild life protective legislation ?
Honey bees don't enjoy any special protection either!
VM

A point worth noting., about 20 years ago a girl working in a potted shrimp factory , found it amusing to drop live shrimps onto a hot plate and watch them try to escape only to die in presumed agony . Shrimps have no protection whatsoever but cruelty was cited and she was severely dealt with by the courts!
Kill them ! Beware it could have repercussions !
VM

there is nothing in place protecting any type of bee, but lots of pest companies will say there is to a customer to warrant not removing or killing them, and so chinese whispers start

So there's only legislation concerning honeybees?

M

nope, none what so ever

good pest companies wont exterminate them, because if they did, and did not block up the old colonies home correctly, and robbers got in for the honey, picking up the pesticide as they did so, and taking back to another hive and then the pesticide killing that hive, they would be up the creek without a paddle, firms have been fined thousands, so its far easier to tell customers that want them dead, that they are protected

there is nothing in place protecting any type of bee, but lots of pest companies will say there is to a customer to warrant not removing or killing them, and so chinese whispers start

the council here say that.. why they just don't tell them it is not there policy 2 kill them I don't know

There are of course exceptions
Isles of Scilly perhaps and Colonsay...
Colonsay has an order from Scottish government banning imports to protect the local genetics. Some protection, but not in the op sense of destroying a colony where it wasn't wanted. Scilly has some campaigning to stay disease free; as part of Cornwall there is no local bee legislation that would be different from the rest of England afaik.

There's more bumbles in my front and back gardens than honey bees.

There's more bumbles in my front and back gardens than honey bees.

Only four bumble nests here..(all transferred from bee fearing citizens)... 10 honey bee hives... win by several hundred thousand..

Latest posts

Back