bumble bee moving home?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
closeby neighbors have a nest of bumble bees in a nestbox that is conveniently hanging next to the back door on a patio. they asked me for advice on how to deal with it... I have to admit I do not know much about bumble bee behavior. do they adhere to the same less than 3 meter or more than 3 mile rule as bees???

Doubtful, as bumbles don't have many workers, so will likely be quite parochial compared to honeybees What the distance might be, I have no idea and, as I recall, it is not specifically mentioned in my tome on bumbles.

I would think half a km or less, at a guess - similar to a wasp 'territory?

I dont know at all about moving small distances. What is the plan? A short move or a long one?

And our bee rule is 3 feet not 3 metres!

RAB

Doubtful, as bumbles don't have many workers, so will likely be quite parochial compared to honeybees What the distance might be, I have no idea and, as I recall, it is not specifically mentioned in my tome on bumbles.

I would think half a km or less, at a guess - similar to a wasp 'territory?

I dont know at all about moving small distances. What is the plan? A short move or a long one?

And our bee rule is 3 feet not 3 metres!

RAB

oops, got the imperial stuff mixed up again...

the plan will depend on what we can do. Ideally we would move it to the end of the garden but that will be more than 3 feet so we should move it to a wood a bit further. alternatively, we can move it in small steps until it is at the end of the garden...

If it had to be moved I would go hang it on a tree a couple of miles away, and I would do the move after plugging up the hole in the evening when they have stopped flying. Give them back the box in the autumn. Tell them not to bother sticking up in their garden again if they are scared of a cupful of bumblies.

If it had to be moved I would go hang it on a tree a couple of miles away, and I would do the move after plugging up the hole in the evening when they have stopped flying. Give them back the box in the autumn. Tell them not to bother sticking up in their garden again if they are scared of a cupful of bumblies.

Don't think they are scared as such. their 'garden' is about 8 by 8 foot with a bumble bee nest at the highth of their children's heads. Not the most convenient place for them to be. They were very concerned about the wellbeing of the bees and will let it be until the winter if it can not be moved. but yes, they will probably move it elsewhere to avoid this next year :)

Ha, ha. A superb place to hang a nest box! Is this a bird nesting box or for bumbles or for solitary bees?

I suppose I am saying 'do they really know what they have there?' A good piece of joined up thinking to place anything like that at that height that close to an entry point.... Good intentions, I suppose....

Bumbles rarely use an old site that has been used previously by bees. They prefer to use disused bird or mouse nests, depending on species of bee, of course.

ive moved quite a few but only one this year, my neighbour also has one that needs moving. my plan is to bung them up at night and move them 3 mile. word of warning the old bird boxes usually have holes in roof or or corners and the lids open for removing of nesting. take lots of tape! and bee quick sealing it up.

Ha, ha. A superb place to hang a nest box! Is this a bird nesting box or for bumbles or for solitary bees?

I suppose I am saying 'do they really know what they have there?' A good piece of joined up thinking to place anything like that at that height that close to an entry point.... Good intentions, I suppose....

Bumbles rarely use an old site that has been used previously by bees. They prefer to use disused bird or mouse nests, depending on species of bee, of course.

the box is a nestbox for t*ts and the species is definately B. hypnorum. I will bung it up and move it to my apiary. I find them fascinating, hopefully they will not keep me from my inspections

I've re located 5 bumbles in nest boxes in the last two weeks, simply walk up, bit of smoke sends the outside ones in, cork in the hole, remove from wall and put in a less used area of garden, remove cork, you do get a few hanging around where the box was, but smoke or air freshener soon moves them on

So they don't go back to original site? i always presumed they did!

yes, but only a handful, at the end of the day, as pest control is my daily job, and I wont kill any bee (wasp's only) when you have a homeowner screaming for you to KILL THEM!!!! because they are going to attack and eat us, I find moving them the better option, if I don't, you know that next it'll be the neighbours son with a can of hairspray and a lighter

I've re located 5 bumbles in nest boxes in the last two weeks, simply walk up, bit of smoke sends the outside ones in, cork in the hole, remove from wall and put in a less used area of garden, remove cork, you do get a few hanging around where the box was, but smoke or air freshener soon moves them on

I have done 2 in the last week, basically as above but I use sponge to bung them up.
My bee shed has them screwed to the side of it now. They dont like me banging the door though.

Latest posts

Back