Budget hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even seconds should be fit for purpose. If they are not, you have recourse.

But if you failed to follow it up, you're a fool to yourself.

Our first hive was from M*More and we're still using it here in France several years later. Weathered well untreated, and all bees in that hive have survived our winters - been down to minus 15 at times.

I purchased 4 Supers (seconds - sale) from M*More last year. The wood was very wet when it arrived (not seasoned properly?) and this year 2 of the supers have warped so badly, that they've needed fairly major repairs to make them usable. I've not had that with T****nes second quality sale boxes, so am disappointed by this.

Having said that my M***more smock is excellent!

Over the last year or so we've bought three 14x12 national hives. One from Caddon, one from the M sale and from the T sale. Each hive includes an OMF, two supers and a crownboard. The latter two were a little cheaper and were described as seconds. All were made of Cedar.

We'd would rate the Caddon the best in terms of accuracy of cutting and quality of wood. The M one is pretty much as good, however there is a big knot on one panel and the roof isn't as deep. The T one is definitely the worst. The cutting is not as accurate, the two inner sides of the broodbox are a little bowed/warped so it was a real challenge getting them sit in the groves. The OMF floor doesn't have a proper ply inspection board, just a sheet of corex on plastic runners, the mesh is held in place with drawing pins and there's no entrance block provided!

The T hive is serviceable, I doubt it'll cause us any problems however it's not manufactured to the same quality as the other two. Of course with a sample of one from each company conclusions shouldn't be drawn, however I doubt we'll be buying another 2nds hive from T any time soon. Might get another from M in their sale at the end of the month though.

... The T one is definitely the worst. The cutting is not as accurate, the two inner sides of the broodbox are a little bowed/warped so it was a real challenge getting them sit in the groves. The OMF floor doesn't have a proper ply inspection board, just a sheet of corex on plastic runners, the mesh is held in place with drawing pins and there's no entrance block provided!

I've bought several floors from T's, and all came with entrance block.
Nothing wrong with correx for an inspection board.
Where Oxalic and Formic acids could go, I'd prefer plastic rails!

With all flatpack seconds, I think its best to get them assembled ASAP, and then outside, as I've found to my cost that storage conditions can bring on distortions.

And, like some others, I prefer Maisie's assembly sequence to T's.

Over the last year or so we've bought three 14x12 national hives. One from Caddon, one from the M sale and from the T sale. Each hive includes an OMF, two supers and a crownboard. The latter two were a little cheaper and were described as seconds. All were made of Cedar.

We'd would rate the Caddon the best in terms of accuracy of cutting and quality of wood. The M one is pretty much as good, however there is a big knot on one panel and the roof isn't as deep. The T one is definitely the worst. The cutting is not as accurate, the two inner sides of the broodbox are a little bowed/warped so it was a real challenge getting them sit in the groves. The OMF floor doesn't have a proper ply inspection board, just a sheet of corex on plastic runners, the mesh is held in place with drawing pins and there's no entrance block provided!

The T hive is serviceable, I doubt it'll cause us any problems however it's not manufactured to the same quality as the other two. Of course with a sample of one from each company conclusions shouldn't be drawn, however I doubt we'll be buying another 2nds hive from T any time soon. Might get another from M in their sale at the end of the month though.

I have bought many 2nds deep and 2nds shallow boxes from 'T'ornes' and all are serviceable. Some may have required a little 'adjustment' during assembly but on the whole they are good quality boxes.

I have also had a few thousand 2nds frames from 'T'ornes' as well and less than a dozen could not be used.

The same experience with 'Maisy' frames.

I do prefer 'Maisy' floors over the 'T'ornes' ones, they come assembled with entrance block and plywood inspection tray.

Caddon didnt have stock when I wanted to buy so they did lose out on a few sales from me.

The T one... The OMF floor doesn't have a proper ply inspection board, just a sheet of corex on plastic runners, the mesh is held in place with drawing pins and there's no entrance block provided!
The entrance block is in the list of components but mistakes happen. I had one super with 4 top profiled rails, no bottom ones, emailed them and the replacement parts were posted next day. Check what you have in the box and mistakes will be rectified from any of the reputable suppliers. Agree with previous remarks that budget ranges using less than premium timber can warp in storage and make assembly more of a challenge (sash cramps help) but seen that with all the budget ranges.

Agree the T floor could be more robust. It uses perforated sheet rather than woven mesh and relies on the rigidity of the sheet to keep the floor square. A poorly attached mesh also sags at the rear and provides an extra entrance. Not difficult to substitute fence staples or short screws, but cost cutting too far. The T one does at least provide galvanised metal brood frame runners and glue, the M one's I've seen only use an angled cut to the wood and don't include glue. The M assembly instructions are better and clearer (and available online) but there's nothing to stop you assembling T hives using M instructions. Cost cutting in the budget ranges is pretty universal but varies where applied. Be prepared to spend a couple of quid to remedy problem areas where you think they need it.

Last edited:
You can't compare maisy and thorns seconds to caddon.
Seconds are what they are they are in effect rejects that don't make the grade.
Caddon are not sold as seconds.

You can't compare maisy and thorns seconds to caddon.
Seconds are what they are they are in effect rejects that don't make the grade.
Caddon are not sold as seconds.
Of course, and I said they were seconds and cheaper than caddon.
The M and T seconds were around £70 and £80 respectively for floor, brood, two supers and roof whereas Caddon was £113 I think. The M and T non-seconds are £180-190 which I'd never consider paying.

I never buy first quality hives or frames. I can't get my head around why people do.
I have bought a few bees on a budget hives from big T and no probs with them.

You can get a perfectly good hive for cheaper again if buying a Maisey 'deal' hive. Woodwork is good and fits together properly, no warping. I had one of these out for a couple of years with only ronseal clear on it.

Latest posts

Back