Bubbles in nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayz_x

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It was bright and sunny today so our garden hive had a lot of bees flying. We took this opportunity to take a quick look inside the hive.
There is new nectar on some frames (liquid enough to drip out if turned over) and a whole area of it had large bubbles in. Is it just that I haven't noticed this before? Should I be worried? Surely it isn't fermenting?
Thank You

Ray

I would be more worried about opening the hive! Nothing to worry about it, they have been doing it for years and probably know how to do it by now.....trust them! :)
E

Thanks Enrico, I understand your concern. The hive is in a sheltered spot, was warmed by the sun and there were a lot of bees flying.
Everything looked as expected apart from the bubbles.
Ray

Last edited:
Not criticising just worried that you may be opening the hive ' for a look' rather than 'for a reason!'
E

It was bright and sunny today so our garden hive had a lot of bees flying. We took this opportunity to take a quick look inside the hive.
There is new nectar on some frames (liquid enough to drip out if turned over) and a whole area of it had large bubbles in. Is it just that I haven't noticed this before? Should I be worried? Surely it isn't fermenting?
Thank You

Ray

I doubt that you have fresh nectar in the hive and also guess it is possible you have some fermenting stores but probably nothing the bees can handle.

Thank you. Last stores to go in would have been liquid ambrosia. I didn't think that fermented? The stuff with bubbles in has not been sealed and is more liquid than ambrosia - will drip out if turned over.
This was only a quick look to check there were stores in the top of the double brood as they were so active and the day was warm. Would be devastated if they starved in March.
I would have taken a photo but wanted to close them up asap.

Has anyone known ambrosia ferment?

Ray

I dont know for sure but would think it could be possible for ambrosia to ferment if it was diluted with water? Also it could be nectar or honey from last year? The water could be from condensation in the hive over the winter.

Hi Ray.
Probably diluted stores in readiness for brood rearing. I have seen it in two of my hives, but did not notice any bubbles. Perhaps it was some sort of reflection of light that you saw?

Latest posts

Back