Bubble wrap for insulation??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got 10 inch thick fibreglass insulation on the floor of the loft (type in pic)and foil bubble across higher beams, both work quite well.

The best tip I ever heard for the use of bubble wrap was from a beekeeper in Herne Bay (sorry, I've forgotten your name). She suggested it as an anti woodpecker device. Apparently the woodpeckers cannot get a grip on the wrap and slide off, eventually giving up the attack. What do we think?
:spy:

The best tip I ever heard for the use of bubble wrap was from a beekeeper in Herne Bay (sorry, I've forgotten your name). She suggested it as an anti woodpecker device. Apparently the woodpeckers cannot get a grip on the wrap and slide off, eventually giving up the attack. What do we think?
:spy:

Its a well-known idea (or at least I thought so) to use smooth plastic to deny the pecker an easy grip.
I just happen to think that Tyvek is much more appropriate than bubblewrap ...
http://construction.tyvek.co.uk/Tyvek_Construction/en_GB/products/roofing/index.html
It should improve weatherproofing, without 'sweating' ...

The best tip I ever heard for the use of bubble wrap was from a beekeeper in Herne Bay (sorry, I've forgotten your name). She suggested it as an anti woodpecker device.:spy:

Good anti percker device is that you put CD-rom disk hanging beside the hive.
It works.

I got moisture in two of my hives recently during ok weather which is a new one for me. Nothing out of the ordinary or different from previous years and all on omf. The hives are protected by a beech hedge in full leaf. This worries me as it may be a continuing problem. Any suggestions as to why.

I got moisture in two of my hives recently during ok weather .

Impossible to say with that information why, and .. where the moisture was.

Moisture appears there, where warm and cold meets. Unless it is rain..

Moisture is not a problem if it appears in proper place. My polyhives have in inside corners snow
which comes from respiration moisture. (out temp -8C)
When it comes a mild weather, it melts and run out via slanting floor.

If moisture exists in inner cover or on frames, then inner coner needs more insulation.

Condensation happens on coldest surfaces.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back