Brood and a half

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeValeur

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
After a great year I’ve got myself in a pickle . I keep my hives on brood and a half and the Qs are still laying well but above the brood box and QE they have a full super of stores each . Now that the weather is about to cool down I’m concerned I’ll never get them down to brood and a half for winter .

After a great year I’ve got myself in a pickle . I keep my hives on brood and a half and the Qs are still laying well but above the brood box and QE they have a full super of stores each . Now that the weather is about to cool down I’m concerned I’ll never get them down to brood and a half for winter .
Don't see the problem. If you have a full box of stores then extract it. If you want them to have the honey then move the half brood under the full brood and remove the queen excluder. Any stores in the bottom half will be moved upwards and when all the brood has emerged later in the autumn you can remove the bottom half and you are back to brood and a half again!
E

After a great year I’ve got myself in a pickle . I keep my hives on brood and a half and the Qs are still laying well but above the brood box and QE they have a full super of stores each
are you saying you have a brood and a half, then a QX then a full super?
What's the big deal? clear them down to the brood and a half and extract the super

Extract the super and feed the bees if they need it.

Latest posts

Back