Bright orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie in Ash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Forgive me, I have searched the forums and know pollen colours are a regular question here, but I cannot find the answer to my query. I was in my bees earlier and they are bringing in a very bright almost fluorescent orange. I have looked at a pollen chart and can’t find a really close match. The closest I can find is dandelion or perhaps lime tree, but it seemed too bright to be Lime and I thought our Lime had finished. Any thoughts?

I have this small booklet, maybe its one of these 2....

5WG8oaH.jpg

n0nMBCa.jpg

Oil Seed rape/Phacelia and RBWH is wrong on that chart Maz.. my bees are bringing bright orange also...last year it was Dalia but they are not flowering yet..
The chart is a condensed version of a bigger book called "A Colour Guide to Pollen Loads of the Honey Bee. 2nd revised edn" - so it might be that these are the 'top 10' or something. I've ordered the larger book which may have the variants of the ones you mentioned. Will let you know when it arrives!

My vote is asparagus. I originally thought dahlia and was trying to work out where all these dahlias were growing until I realised the asparagus fields were in the same direction.
Not flowering yet up here.

Mine don't touch Californian poppies of which I have hundreds but I do have a very large asparagus bed and that is loved by bees who bring in bright orange pollen from it!
E

Oil Seed rape/Phacelia and RBWH is wrong on that chart Maz.. my bees are bringing bright orange also...last year it was Dalia but they are not flowering yet..

Hawkesbeard a common weed in flower now has flourescent orange pollen.

Ragwort has been out for several weeks I think that may have yellow polen.

just been out to look at my asparagus beds on reading this and i found a highway to it from garden hives....

here are the pics

Attachments

• saparagus1.jpg
    saparagus1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 51
  • asparagus2.jpg
    asparagus2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 51
  • asparagus3.jpg
    asparagus3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts